Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Straight Talk and Walmart offer iPhone unlimited plan, financing deal - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Straight Talk and Walmart offer iPhone unlimited plan, financing deal

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Post your comments for Straight Talk and Walmart offer iPhone unlimited plan, financing deal here

#2 User is offline   losbastard 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

The StraightTalk website makes reference to mandatory jailbreaking for MMS functionality...

Anyone know if that is changing?

Also: if I bring my own iPhone 4s unlocked, any reason I can't use it?

Thanks!

#3 User is offline   jontingley 

• Pip

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

The StraightTalk website makes reference to mandatory jailbreaking for MMS functionality... Anyone know if that is changing? Also: if I bring my own iPhone 4s unlocked, any reason I can't use it? Thanks!

That is correct. If you bring your own iPhone it must be GSM (AT&T) and you will not have visual voicemail or MMS (iMessage is the exception). I'm currently on Straight Talk with an iPhone 4 and love the service. I'm not a "power user" so it does the job for me. I use the YouMail app for visual voicemail. My contract ended with AT&T in June and the number transfer/activation was very easy.

The word on the street is that the iPhones bought from Straight Talk will be CDMA and will have visual voicemail and MMS functionality. I will be getting the iPhone 5 from Straight Talk tomorrow :-)

#4 User is offline   goodsirius1234 

• Pip

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

I am for anything that will break the stranglehold of the top providers, AT&T and Verison. Their costs have been insane. Bring on the competition!

#5 User is offline   squirleywrath 

• Pip

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

I just looked at the Wal*Mart website and while the offer is accurate, the models in this article offered or not. According to the site they are offering 4, 4s, and 5, in different memory sizes from $449-$849 http://www.walmart.c...oneStraightTalk

#6 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

The StraightTalk website makes reference to mandatory jailbreaking for MMS functionality... Anyone know if that is changing? Also: if I bring my own iPhone 4s unlocked, any reason I can't use it? Thanks!

If you have patience, it is possible to get data and MMS working on an iPhone running on Straight Talk. NO JAILBREAK REQUIRED!

If you can live without MMS, getting data is easy. Connect to WiFi, open Safari and go to http://unlockit.co.nz to create the data APN profile. You can still send picture messages using iMessage.

This works much better if your iPhone is unlocked. If yours isn't, check eBay for "AT&T iPhone IMEI Unlock". This can be done for under $4. I've done this successfully on a few iPhones, as well as the steps for data and MMS below.

http://www.jgmedia.b...im-swap-method/

@Dan Moren
According to Straight Talk's Facebook page, these iPhones are running on Verizon. If the iPhone 5 is unlocked, that remains to be seen.

#7 User is offline   abcde 

• Pip

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

People are fed up with ATT and Verizon greed, eventually, they will have to do away with this contract BS. and drop their prices.

#8 User is offline   jontingley 

• Pip

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:43 AM

I just looked at the Wal*Mart website and while the offer is accurate, the models in this article offered or not. According to the site they are offering 4, 4s, and 5, in different memory sizes from $449-$849 http://www.walmart.c...oneStraightTalk

Yes, you can buy other phones in larger capacities that are mentioned in the offer, but you likely won't get the same "$25 a month till the phone is paid off" deal. They are only offering that on the 16gb iphone 5 and 8gb ipone 4.

#9 User is offline   iggie 

• Pip

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

If you have the at&t iphone just buy the sim from straight talk and go on youtube, they have step by step videos of how to get mms unlocked. It only took me about an hour and I used the software REDSNOW.

#10 User is offline   mzlara210820 

• Pip

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

so i have an iphone4 from AT&T? are you saying I can use straight talk w/out having to unlock it? or what should I do?

#11 User is offline   krissun 

• Pip

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Can I take my iPhone 4S and use with straight talk? I am a Verizon user and my phone is not jail broke, I have read some other questions here but must related to AT&T. What do I need to do with my phone if this is a possibility?

#12 User is offline   southernbelle 

• Pip

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Straight talk is temporarily out of AT&T oompatible sim cards - they only have T mobile. They told me, however, contrary to what I read here http://wiki.howardfo...ght_Talk_iPhone that I can use a T mobile compatible card in my unlocked GSM 4S I phone. True? And it looks like the $45 plan is required/the $30 plan is not an option?

#13 User is offline   Corwin7 

• Pip

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Straight Talk took my phone number but is unable to make it work. They did have it working for half a day. Talking to their friendly reps from India is about as helpful as discussing my phone problems with the homeless guy on the street corner. Not only am I out to $70.00 for the starter kit but I am out my phone number and my phone has been dead for a week. Their 800 numbers give a reorder tone a large percentage of the time I try calling, and their web site currently has page load times of several minutes.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users