• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

Post your comments for Needed: a mute switch for iOS notifications here

#2 User is offline   danmusician 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

In general, the sound controls in iOS are inconsistent and annoying. I use the WunderRadio app. If I double tap home and slide to the left and tap the mute icon, the radio app still plays. But if I slide the volume control to the left it turns down the volume. Some games and other apps ignore the volume slider. I understand that some sounds are "sound effects" and others are "audio." But there needs to be a master volume control and a master mute. (And in that control bar, why is the order of controls mute, brightness, playback and THEN volume. Shouldn't mute and volume be beside each other? Seems to me that the audio controls should be together.)

#3 User is offline   gmstoner 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

One feature I would like to see is a do not disturb sync. Let's say I'm having a bad headache and go to home early from work to sleep it off. I would love if I put my iphone on do not disturb that my other devices would recognize it. The last thing I want to do with a pounding headache is change a my settings on my mac and iPad for notifications as well.

Secondly, I once asked Siri to put turn on do not disturb and she refused. I was a bit taken aback. Seems like a no brainer to me that she could do that.

#4 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

I guess it's a small price to pay for using one device for many functions. Think of how much money you're saving versus just a standalone GPS unit.

But, you have a good point. Maybe someone in Cupertino is reading this, and will pass along the message.

Oh, and what's up with Macworld lately? I have to refresh a page several times before a comment finally posts.

#5 User is offline   Soundteck 

• Pip

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

Another Feature that needs to be added to DND would be to set it for independent days. In my case Saturday and Sunday would need a later time to shut off and on. But not everyones weekend is Sat Sun. So the ability to set it for individual days would suffice.

#6 User is offline   yamankaytaz 

• Pip

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

I was just thinking about that the other day!
I use an app to notify me of prayer times, and since I put my phone on silent or do not disturb when I go to sleep, it won't notify me of the Dawn prayer time... so I have to set my alarm to wake me up.

It would be great to be able to use Do Not Disturb while the phone is locked or in use, plus it would be great to be able to choose which apps to exempt from the restriction if needed, in my case Guidance app.

#7 User is offline   dfs 

• PipPip

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

The author could also have considered the situation of those of us who use an iOS as a clock radio. When you're trying to get to sleep the last thing you need is lights flashing or noises chirping. And on my iPad, any notification alert gets parked right over the part of the screen which contains the digital time display!

#8 User is offline   MichaelEllis 

• Pip

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

The iPhone as a GPS in its current form is a dangerous distraction when driving. Frankly I am surprised that Apple have not found themselves in litigation over this. A recent driver awareness course I attend cited fiddling with phones as 4 time more dangerous (in terms of number of accidents) than drink and drug driving combined (source Dorset Driver Awareness Scheme, UK, 2013)

When a navigation aid, the iPhone does nothing to limit driver distraction via all manner of notifications. As the OP points out, the only option at present is to go into settings and disable notifications for every App one by one!

At start of navigation the Maps app ought to display a warning informing notifications and communications (messages, phone calls etc) will be suspended whilst in navigation mode. There could be an override in case for example where the navigation aid is being used by a passenger. It may be prudent that when in navigation mode the iPhone acts solely as navigation aid.

Night time use is very distracting. The screen is far too bright. Dimming the screen (by going into settings to adjust the brightness) results in very poor contrast which makes it difficult to read. (it is also time consuming to get to the setting and you have to remeber to reset it when you finish nighttime navigation). The iPhone has a light sensor (camera), knows the time of day and time of sunrise//sunset (GPS info). It ought to be able to switch itself to a more suitable night time colour scheme automatically.

Screen layout is less that ideal. whilst the 3D maps are great, the extended information for items like ETA (found when you tap the moving map) are too small to read conveniently and you end up squinting to see them. Another dangerous distraction.

Someone is going to be injured or killed as a result of someone being distracted by a notification for a text, a call, or facebook update or even a someone playing their turn at scrabble when they should be paying attention to the road. I am sure that the fine print Apple issue warns and advises against about such misuse. However, in practical terms this is how iPhone Maps navigation is used by a great many people.

This is matter Apple are in large measure responsible for and ought to address.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users