#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope Daily: A bad ride here

#2 User is offline   Lenjc1957 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

I had a feeling that this Estes guy would be the one in the Macalope's crosshairs this morning.

#3 User is offline   cringginutt 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

the other talented thing this estes guy did was "oh wow" samsung's quarter earnings of a smidge above apple's but from more than twice the revenue. great margins there ....

#4 User is offline   KPOM 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

Regardless, as fast as the stock went up until September 2012 it has come back down since then. It does make people suspicious, since you have bandwagon jumpers on the "business channels" who go with the flow. We'll find out the real story on January 23rd when Apple releases its earnings and its estimates for the next quarter.

#5 User is offline   lkrupp 

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

So repeating a lie often enough does indeed make it true. Continued rumors and lies about Apple have been successful in brining the stock price down. All you see on various tech sites now is how Apple is truly doomed this time.

I thought that manipulating stock prices by deceit and lies was illegal. I was wrong I guess. Silly me. And they say that you must be in the stock market to make money and that over time the stock market always goes up... unless it doesn't.

#6 User is offline   TheBum 

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

Could it be that he was looking at Apple's 4th fiscal quarter -- which just happens to be the third calendar quarter -- and gotten confused? It's either that or he's an idiot...wait, confusion and idiocy aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, are they?

This post has been edited by TheBum: 15 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

#7 User is offline   John 

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

I love reading the Macalope and look forward to reading every column.

However the Macalope's column is titled "The Macalope Daily" but the column now only appears on Tuesday and Saturday now.

One of the Macalope's hot buttons is headline abuse. This raises difficult questions: Is the Macalope himself(herself? itself?) guilty of headline abuse?
Should the Macalope include his (her? its?) column in the next article on overstated headlines? Do the Macalope readers still faithfully check for a column on Mon, Wed, Thurs and Friday only to feel disappointment until the next column is posted?

On the other hand, I don't think the Macalope needs a catchy headline to attract readers. Its all the great content that lies below it that gets me look forward to every new column!

#8 User is offline   godostoyke 

• Pip

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Awesome article!
Another source states that a reduction in iphone 5 supply orders (if true) may be due to Apple readying iphone 6 earlier than expected.

#9 User is offline   Hologram 

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostJohn, on 15 January 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

I love reading the Macalope and look forward to reading every column.

However the Macalope's column is titled "The Macalope Daily" but the column now only appears on Tuesday and Saturday now.

One of the Macalope's hot buttons is headline abuse. This raises difficult questions: Is the Macalope himself(herself? itself?) guilty of headline abuse?
Should the Macalope include his (her? its?) column in the next article on overstated headlines? Do the Macalope readers still faithfully check for a column on Mon, Wed, Thurs and Friday only to feel disappointment until the next column is posted?

On the other hand, I don't think the Macalope needs a catchy headline to attract readers. Its all the great content that lies below it that gets me look forward to every new column!

The Macalope articles appear on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. The remaining four days, there's nothing worth waking up and getting out of bed for.

So, "Daily" still works for me. My, how time flies.

#10 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostMacworld, on 15 January 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

That’s it! Time to close it up and send the money back to investors!

Amusingly, that's where Michael Dell seems to be headed nowadays.

#11 User is offline   MacRaven 

• PipPip

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Makes you wish Steve was still alive to go kick some serious butt there.

#12 User is offline   johndrake 

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:41 AM

Could it be that he was looking at Apple's 4th fiscal quarter -- which just happens to be the third calendar quarter -- and gotten confused? It's either that or he's an idiot...wait, confusion and idiocy aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, are they?

No they aren't but, in the case of most of these dumpster diving "pundits", giving them the benefit of the doubt, i.e. that they may just be confused, is just allowing them too much credit, since in my opinion they do not deserve one iota of credit! And I do not think they are idiots either, they are just nasty, anti Apple creatures that know exactly what they are saying, but don't care about the truth of the matter. For many it is a way to manipulate the price of stock while gleefully drawing hits from reasonable folks like us, and from the Apple hating crowd.

#13 User is offline   leskern 

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

Stock manipulation... yes, people are having a party and we aren't invited.

#14 User is offline   RipRagged 

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I bought AAPL in 1999. I was new to the whole stock market investing thang. Apple's stock dropped from $62.50/share to less than $30. I went a-reading. It turns out that this particular quarter had been more profitable than the previous quarter, and more profitable than the year-ago quarter. Apple missed analysts' predictions for earnings by one penny per share.

After searching in vain for days for another reason, I decided the stock market was batsh** crazy. I bought as many shares of AAPL as I could afford. I still have most of them. When the manipulators make their noise, I look at it as a buying opportunity. Nothing more.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users