Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1Tunes Iteration

#1 User is offline   notaguru 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

What is the last iteration of iTunes for OS Snow Leopard and where can I get it?
Apple has seen fit to ignore the dictum "the enemy of good is better" so I need to revert! Thanks, Tom

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

View Postnotaguru, on 16 January 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

What is the last iteration of iTunes for OS Snow Leopard and where can I get it?
Apple has seen fit to ignore the dictum "the enemy of good is better" so I need to revert! Thanks, Tom

The current version of iTunes (version 11) works with Snow Leopard as long as it is 10.6.8.

You can download it here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

If mean that you don't like iTunes 11 and want an older version (it was not clear from your post), then you can get iTunes 10.7 here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1576

Note that if you upgraded your iTunes library to iTunes 11, then I don't believe it is a simple process to go back from iTunes 11 to iTunes 10.7...but I could be wrong.

#3 User is offline   notaguru 

• PipPip

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

Gentlemen, thanks for your replies. I have kept all 79GB of my music organized in a separate Folder "DocTom" and have never used iTunes "Library". iTunes 11 has taken snippets of symphonies or albums and put them in iTunes "Library"--totally unorganized, so I would like to revert to an earlier version of iTunes where it enables me to find a whole Symphony or saved CD, say of Scottish songs or whatever, to make a copy for Grandchildren.When I download a Beethoven symphony from one of my stored CDs into iTunes 11 it is just "Track 1, Track 2 etc. This did not happen in previous versions of iTunes 10. I put a purchased CD (not from iTunes store) to download onto iTunes to make a copy of the CD--same thing, just "Track 1 etc. How can I get rid of this v11 and find something earlier than v10.7 which, i (mis?) understand is for iPod, Pad etc. ? I will continue with Snow Leopard as it works just fine and see no need to "improve" by "?up?grading" to Lion, etc Thanks. Tom

#4 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

View Postnotaguru, on 17 January 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

Gentlemen, thanks for your replies. I have kept all 79GB of my music organized in a separate Folder "DocTom" and have never used iTunes "Library". iTunes 11 has taken snippets of symphonies or albums and put them in iTunes "Library"--totally unorganized, so I would like to revert to an earlier version of iTunes where it enables me to find a whole Symphony or saved CD, say of Scottish songs or whatever, to make a copy for Grandchildren.When I download a Beethoven symphony from one of my stored CDs into iTunes 11 it is just "Track 1, Track 2 etc. This did not happen in previous versions of iTunes 10. I put a purchased CD (not from iTunes store) to download onto iTunes to make a copy of the CD--same thing, just "Track 1 etc. How can I get rid of this v11 and find something earlier than v10.7 which, i (mis?) understand is for iPod, Pad etc. ? I will continue with Snow Leopard as it works just fine and see no need to "improve" by "?up?grading" to Lion, etc Thanks. Tom

Downgrading iTunes v 11 to v 10 instructions are available online. Haven't tried it myself, but reportedly it works. Searching for "downgrade iTunes 11 to 10.7 mac" will yield plenty of results like this

Research properly and proceed if you are comfortable. Having a full backup is a good thing, as you should always be able to use add to library to bring your separate music back into iTunes.

Note that for downloading track names, album artwork, etc during import the computer has to have the correct date & time, and you have to have logged in at least once to an iTunes account on that system, to establish it as an authorized system, iirc. I was using an old system to rip some audio discs a few weeks back and iTunes wouldn't fetch data till I sorted those things out.

This post has been edited by icerabbit: 17 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

#5 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

View Postnotaguru, on 17 January 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

This makes no sense. Regardless of whether you allow iTunes to organize your content, if you rip a CD it will by default put the tracks into the most appropriate location it can find/make in the configured media folder. That's not new with iTunes 11 - it predates the product even being called iTunes. If you think about it, I think you'll see that there's no reasonable alternative to that behavior. Content ripped from CD or purchased from the iTunes store has to go *somewhere* initially even if you move it after the fact. The option to not organize the library only applies to media that came to your machine through some other mechanism than iTunes in the first place.

Content ripped from CD by iTunes only has more meaningful names if you provided them or if the CD was identified in the GraceNote music database. Again, not new or even recent.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users