• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope Weekly: Running the gamut here

#2 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

I agree with you that the demand stuff is unsupported nonsense based on rumor. Even if the rumor is true, a 50% order reduction speaks to a new model or a component change. This has it's own set of issues, but doom isn't one of them.

As far as Apple "coasting", you said it yourself (not in so many words). Establish a new market, take the high profit road, and milk them the rest of the way (which may also include features that should have been there all along). All while taking total control over the entire environment. There's no disagreement on the facts, there may be on the interpretation and perception. Is the "i-thing" still compelling enough over the competition for some consumer's (not stockholders) to tolerate being "milked"? The competition has come a very long way, and offer's compelling reasons to consider them. Still "doom" is not anywhere near Apple's radar, it may be on some of it's investor's though.
I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#3 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

Flies in the face of hemp-smoking, fixie-riding Portlanders...wait! What's coming out of their mouths that's drawing flies?

I saw the Forbes article and wondered who snuck in and changed the text of the article without anyone noticing. Actually one might wonder if that wasn't written so they can point to it in the future as proof they aren't anti-Apple after all. Maybe even a skunk sometimes notices it stinks in the den?
Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#4 User is offline   SuperMatt 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:40 AM

Maybe CNet is writing bad things about Apple because of ongoing litigation with CBS? Seems like that's a guaranteed way to get negative coverage on CNet.

#5 User is offline   Dennistrator 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

Eric Mack: "I have a hunch there will never be an iPhone 6". Not 'I predict' or 'it's my opinion', but 'I have a hunch'. A 'hunch' is more easily deniable when it doesn't pan out (well, it was just a hunch) but something to point to if it proves true (I had a hunch!). It's neither reporting or editorializing, it's just yammering.
Thanks for the morning laughs, have a good day, Mr. Macalope.

#7 User is offline   lwdesign 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

Thanks Macalope. You always make my Saturday morning better by lambasting the idiocy that presents itself as knowledgeable analysis. The Wall Street Journal has taken one point of reduced component orders and has blown it up into a completely unresearched and speculative story about how sales of the iPhone 5 are somehow declining. This is completely in the face of phenomenal sales of the most popular iPhone ever produced. This is incompetence at best, market manipulation for profit at worst, and possibly a combination of the two. My analysis: Buy APPL stock. Once sales figures are released, the stock will shoot up again and you will make scads of money.

#8 User is offline   Dennistrator 

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

The competition has come a very long way, and offer's compelling reasons to consider them. Still "doom" is not anywhere near Apple's radar
That is Avery good point. When Jobs introduced the iPhone, he stated that it was a good 5 years ahead of the competition. And 5 years later we are seeing really viable alternatives. It doesn't spell doom for Apple, it means they have competition.

#9 User is offline   gus2000 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

"CNet’s not the only place sending out colon-open-parentheses about Apple"

Emphasis on the "colon-open"

#10 User is offline   tfmeehan 

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

I said it often back during the PC wars and have adapted it for other arguments since...

The customers of Apple's competition should hope that Apple NEVER goes away or is replaced by another Apple-like company. You are only getting the level of quality and new features you have BECAUSE of Apple. Either the competition directly copies Apple or tries to one up them.

Without Apple's influence, the electronics world would be a dull place indeed.

#11 User is offline   gplawhorn 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

Dear Mr. Macalope,

Not to be a word-troll or anything, but to "have retched" is to have hurled your hay and oats all over the place. A "wretched hive of scum and villainy," on the other hand, is where you would discover that Han shot first.

#12 User is offline   spanky 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Dear Mr. Macalope, Not to be a word-troll or anything, but to "have retched" is to have hurled your hay and oats all over the place. A "wretched hive of scum and villainy," on the other hand, is where you would discover that Han shot first.

Since you're in the mood for correction, you shouldn't use on the other hand without first using on the one hand. On the one hand, to "have retched" is to have hurled your hay and oats all over the place. A "wretched hive of scum and villainy," on the other hand, is where you would discover that Han shot first.

#13 User is offline   Kimkfeq 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

Has no one beside me noticed that this "cutting of parts orders" is actually normal for this time of year? It seems that it always happens in the March quarter, and yet everyone acts as if it's the doom of Apple every year. C'mon, folks: the March quarter is ALWAYS down from the December one. Nothing to see here, keep going....

#14 User is offline   RipRagged 

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

"Evolutionarily." Great word.

The iPhone 6 should be the epitome of evolutionariness.

#15 User is offline   Kennethfcooper 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Flies in the face of hemp-smoking, fixie-riding Portlanders...wait! What's coming out of their mouths that's drawing flies? I saw the Forbes article and wondered who snuck in and changed the text of the article without anyone noticing. Actually one might wonder if that wasn't written so they can point to it in the future as proof they aren't anti-Apple after all. Maybe even a skunk sometimes notices it stinks in the den?

You beat me to the "Flies in the face" comment, and this was after the Macalope said he was "running out of high-larious Portland stereotypes."

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users