Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Moving target: Apple's next move is more important than its last - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Moving target: Apple's next move is more important than its last

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:15 AM

Post your comments for Moving target: Apple's next move is more important than its last here

#2 User is offline   AppSoftDesign 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

Last time I looked my iPhone 4 had 4 buttons and 1 switch.

#3 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:56 AM

Last time I looked my iPhone 4 had 4 buttons and 1 switch.

I believe he was referring to method of input and user interface. In that case, yes, the iPhone only has one button. Smartphones of the day weren't touchscreen-only for the UI. Some companies (RIM, Palm) fell way behind the curve because of their own ignorance, and they're now either on the verge of bankruptcy or thing of the past. Someone was listening to the wrong anal-ysts.

#4 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

Nice article. You're absolutely right. It's true of any company. You buy or sell stock on anticipation of future performance. Expectations (and stock price) are extremely high. If Apple can blow through in the next year or two and make huge profits to those that bought at $700, then that truly would be "magical".

"Innovate, rinse, repeat" --Ouch!
Especially when the parent metaphor always went "down the drain..."
I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#5 User is offline   AppSoftDesign 

• Pip

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Then in that regard the iPhone didn't need any buttons.

Apple could have replaced the "one" button with a separate touch panel. In the case of a need to "reset" you could have pressed the on/of button which doesn't count as a button. Apple could have done the same for the volume buttons which don't count as buttons. The mute switch is a little bit more problematic, but I am sure they could have come up with a way to eliminate that mechanical switch as well.

Maybe the next innovation will be a phone with now switches or buttons. You just think about who you want to call and it calls them....

PS: I love Apple products. Own iMac, iPod, iPhone, iPad, Mac Mini and iStock. Buying this huge dip and loving it. Just having fun.....

#6 User is offline   SockRolid 

• PipPip

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Re: "Well, do you? Punk?"

Correct! It's not "Do ya feel lucky, punk?" It's "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?" (Harry Callahan, played by Clint Eastwood, "Dirty Harry," 1971)

#7 User is offline   SockRolid 

• PipPip

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

It's possible that Apple's "next big thing" is already in place. Not television. Automotive software. As bad as the TV experience currently is (and I'm not even talking about the crappy content) the automotive software is vastly worse.

And, unlike watching TV in your living room, controlling the electronics in your car can literally mean life or death. Fumbling with dashboard touch screens, or even worse, tapping on a cell phone in a car mount instead of keeping your eyes on the road, is a terrible idea. And that danger has been amplified by habitual face-down typing on mobile devices in nearly all situations. People think they can do it safely by "multitasking", aka "not doing any one thing very well." Well guess what. You can't multitask accident avoidance.

The vast majority of new cars sold in the US already have iPod integration built in. The next step will be Siri integration, and many major manufacturers are on board with Apple's "Eyes Free" initiative. It's just a button on the steering wheel that activates Siri on your iPhone. Simple, but it could open the door for much deeper iOS integration in cars.

Of course, the automotive software market is heavily driven (pardon the pun) by mapping apps. And the controversy over iOS Maps won't help Apple at all in that market. Maybe Scott Forstall wasn't canned just for Maps. Maybe he was canned because of the negative effect that the Maps glitches will have on consumers' perception of Apple's in-car Siri and other software. Any inaccuracies in Maps will be easily fixed, over time. But that first impression is there to stay, for better or worse.

But whatever. I think in-car Siri integration will be Apple's Next Big Disruption ™. Because it involves far less work and far less deal-making with deeply entrenched interests than the television disruption will require.

#8 User is offline   niveko 

• Pip

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

I read your article and believe the analysts making these projections do not understand the design and the development cycle. They base their analysis on a set of numbers and dollars. Most of them are greedy and use this greed to make these unrealistic projections. None of these analysts have any practical designed or developed experience, so the innovative part of Apple's new products never register in their analysis (it is all guesses).

Apple has one of the premier design and development teams and creates innovative products that change the reality of a current product line. Most products out there just show incremental evolution every year. If you look at Apple's products they are revolutionary and every other company has to copy them the following year in order to stay in business/compete (i.e. Samsung, Windows, etc).

Apple has been burn by releasing products too early (iMaps, etc) and they do not like apologizing for a bad product. Most analysts guess at product innovation at Apple and try to tell the World first when Apple will release a new product on their timeline. Apple want a to develop products that people love, so it will be on Apple's design/development/production schedule.

#9 User is offline   James 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:41 AM

I'm saving up for my iCar.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users