Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Apple's China fortunes rise, despite sagging market share - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple's China fortunes rise, despite sagging market share

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Post your comments for Apple's China fortunes rise, despite sagging market share here

#2 User is offline   JDW 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

I've never understood the media's fascination with the ridiculous notion of "a cheaper iPhone." Such is a truly deceptive term. In the greater scheme of things, doesn't matter if the phone costs zero dollars, $100, $500, or even $1000. That may be a "psychological barrier" for the weak minded buyer, but educated people know otherwise. The greatest part of the "cost of ownership" for any smart phone is the monthly fee being paid to the wireless carrier! When you calculate the fees over even a two-year span of time for virtually any smart phone, the cost of the phone itself becomes completely and utterly insignificant.

The way for Apple, or any other smart phone maker, to create a smart phone for the "impoverished masses" (in any country), is for wireless fees to drop to about 1/3 of what they are now.

Consider well for how many years MacWorld has written articles about the Mac versus the PC in terms of "cost of ownership," where the Mac almost always came out on top. Not so with smartphones.

In light of this, it makes much more logical sense for MacWorld to write an article entitled, "Cheap iPhones and The True Cost of Ownership."

#3 User is offline   flowney 

• PipPip

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

More important than a cheaper phone is a phone that can be used anywhere and everywhere on a pay as you go basis as well as post-paid. Apple is now popular enough that the carriers could not successfully oppose such a phone. Once China Mobile is on board and gets used to the revenues generated by iPhone is the time to pull the trigger on this.
Dr. Frank Lowney Georgia College & State University
Senior Director for External Projects
and Assistant to the Director, Digital Innovation Group @ Georgia College

#4 User is offline   jpmhughes 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

"The U.S. tech giant"
It still amazes me to read things like that after having used Apple products since the IIe when they were so small. You called Apple for help and one of the few employees would answer, one of which could have been Steve Jobs and I would not thought twice about it. it sill blows my mind.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users