Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Itunes Suggestion

#1 User is offline   Alan 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

My wife and I listen to a lot of audiobooks on our 3 iPods, one touch and iphone in fact that is pretty much all we use them for.

Something that I would appreciate in Itunes would be that when I put in a CD to be transferred (so I can use it on my iPod) if it looked at the data on the disc and reported to me immediately (or however long it took) the condition of the data.

My reasoning is this.

Now, it downloads the data and when it gets to a trouble spot, it stops and gets as much data as possible and skips over bad areas. This is fine of course and a good feature, But it slows the download enormously and the CD player sounds like it is having a hernia.

However if the CD just needs to be cleaned with the liquid plastic cleaner that I use, then the data is generally good and it's a quick download. But each audiobook may contain up to 20 discs, so if I have to clean every disc it is a PITA sooooooo

If the CD was checked quickly for defective data, then I could eject it and do the cleaning, otherwise if it detected no issues it would be good to go and I would download it.

Is this already available or a doable project for Apple?
Cheers
Alan

24" iMac, 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM

15" MBP 2007 4GB RAM

ipod touch 5th gen.

iphone 3rd gen

Griffen 250 Gb backup HD for Lion Recovery and old Time Machine data

1TB ext. HD for current Time Machine (510.87 Gb) and 2nd partition contains Super Duper @225.62 GB

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

View PostAlan, on 27 January 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

My wife and I listen to a lot of audiobooks on our 3 iPods, one touch and iphone in fact that is pretty much all we use them for.

Something that I would appreciate in Itunes would be that when I put in a CD to be transferred (so I can use it on my iPod) if it looked at the data on the disc and reported to me immediately (or however long it took) the condition of the data.

My reasoning is this.

Now, it downloads the data and when it gets to a trouble spot, it stops and gets as much data as possible and skips over bad areas. This is fine of course and a good feature, But it slows the download enormously and the CD player sounds like it is having a hernia.

However if the CD just needs to be cleaned with the liquid plastic cleaner that I use, then the data is generally good and it's a quick download. But each audiobook may contain up to 20 discs, so if I have to clean every disc it is a PITA sooooooo

If the CD was checked quickly for defective data, then I could eject it and do the cleaning, otherwise if it detected no issues it would be good to go and I would download it.

Is this already available or a doable project for Apple?

Keep in mind that when you first stick in the disc, it is not actually reading/"downloading" ALL the data from the disc. It is basically reading kind of a summary or "header" of the disc to 1) "mount" the disc so that you can play it and 2) compare the "signature" of the disc to the Gracenote database so that iTunes can fill in the names of the songs (if it is a music disc...don't know what happens with an audiobook disc since I have never ripped one).

It only reads/"downloads" ALL the data when you either play the disc in iTunes or rip the disc.

And even if it did read/"download" ALL the data on the disc when you first stick it in, it would still take awhile....so, it would not be as quick a "check" as you are thinking.

Another way to think of it is this...

Think of iTunes as like reading the synopsis (from say the back cover or dust jacket) of a book. It is basically reading just enough information to figure out what the disc is (if possible) and make the disc ready to use.

It is very similar to when you stick a software install disc into the optical drive. The OS will read enough of the disc so that you can mount the disc in the OS and see what is on the "root" level fo the disc. Once you actually start the install process, you will hear the disc drive go to town reading all the data from the disc.

So, end result, even if it did check everything, it would not be any where near as quick as right now when you put in the disc. It would take much longer to "check" all the data on the disc.

#3 User is offline   Alan 

• PipPip

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the explanation. I see you are saying that it wouldn't save much time.

Maybe what I am looking for is that when iTunes is downloading and it finds a bad section, it could stop and give a dialogue box suggesting two possibilities
1. the disc may be dirty would you like to eject and clean it or
2. Continue using the error correction software that it uses as per normal.

Audiobooks on CD are just like music on CDs, as they are just a bunch of sections of the book on each disc. Some do a whole CD as one file and some break it into sections and some break it into say 5 or 10 minute sections just like music CDs do.
Cheers
Alan

24" iMac, 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM

15" MBP 2007 4GB RAM

ipod touch 5th gen.

iphone 3rd gen

Griffen 250 Gb backup HD for Lion Recovery and old Time Machine data

1TB ext. HD for current Time Machine (510.87 Gb) and 2nd partition contains Super Duper @225.62 GB

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users