Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: What is this sound?! - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is this sound?! This sound keeps playing randomly on my iMac and I don't understand it

#1 User is offline   michaelbelong 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Unknown Sound

My iMac will play this randomly and without any warning or indication as to what it means.
It is frustratingly annoying after awhile..

Never has happened to me before and now it plays all the time. Help!

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

View Postmichaelbelong, on 27 January 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

Unknown Sound

My iMac will play this randomly and without any warning or indication as to what it means.

It almost sounds like the "Bottle" alert sound. Is that the alert sound you've got selected? Is it actually coming through the speakers? When did it start?

#3 User is offline   michaelbelong 

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

View Postbastion, on 27 January 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Unknown Sound

It almost sounds like the "Bottle" alert sound. Is that the alert sound you've got selected? Is it actually coming through the speakers? When did it start?

It started a few days ago, I thought it might be because of dying keyboard batteries but I've gone and replaced them already and it still keeps happening.
I had to capture the system sound of that going off with Audio Hijack Pro. I've muted my speakers because it's so annoying. I've checked all the notification settings I could think of in any app.

Ahhhh..

#4 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

View Postmichaelbelong, on 27 January 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

Unknown Sound

It started a few days ago, I thought it might be because of dying keyboard batteries but I've gone and replaced them already and it still keeps happening.
I had to capture the system sound of that going off with Audio Hijack Pro. I've muted my speakers because it's so annoying. I've checked all the notification settings I could think of in any app.

Ahhhh..

And is that your configured alert sound, according to System Preferences?
Next time it happens, open up the Console application and check to see if any messages were logged at the same time.

#5 User is offline   michaelbelong 

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

View Postbastion, on 27 January 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Unknown Sound

Ahhhh..

Next time it happens, open up the Console application and check to see if any messages were logged at the same time.

It isn't my configured alert sound, I don't even have it as an option. But the Console read this last time it went off:

Jan 27 18:23:12 Michaels-iMac.local Dock[156]: no information back from LS about running process
Jan 27 18:24:14 Michaels-iMac.local mdworker[564]: Unable to talk to lsboxd
Jan 27 18:24:14 Michaels-iMac.local sandboxd[565] ([564]): mdworker(564) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd
Jan 27 18:24:15 Michaels-iMac kernel[0]: Sandbox: sandboxd(565) deny mach-lookup com.apple.coresymbolicationd

#6 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

View Postmichaelbelong, on 27 January 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

View Postbastion, on 27 January 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Ahhhh..

It isn't my configured alert sound, I don't even have it as an option. But the Console read this last time it went off:

Jan 27 18:23:12 Michaels-iMac.local Dock[156]: no information back from LS about running process
Jan 27 18:24:14 Michaels-iMac.local mdworker[564]: Unable to talk to lsboxd
Jan 27 18:24:14 Michaels-iMac.local sandboxd[565] ([564]): mdworker(564) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd
Jan 27 18:24:15 Michaels-iMac kernel[0]: Sandbox: sandboxd(565) deny mach-lookup com.apple.coresymbolicationd

Might be worth trying this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564
This article tells what to do if you can't invoke safe boot from your keyboard: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455 I don't use a wireless keyboard so I don't know if that's an issue that would require you to use that method.

Weird that you don't have the sound I mentioned as an option for alert sound effects. It's one of the stock ones and has been for as long as I can recall in the OS X era. Not that I think its absence is relevant to this problem. Just odd.

I also wonder, since this only started a few days ago, if you can remember anything noteworthy happening that coincides with it. New software update/install? Reconfiguration? App or system crash?

#7 User is offline   primrose 

• PipPip

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

I get an apparently random sound throughout the day. It sounds like an email alert, but it's not. What I think it is, is an alert to check my RSS feeds. Have you subscribed to any RSS feeds in the last few days, could that be it?

#8 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Of note, there are issues with 10.8.2 and lsboxd out of the blue ...

See macworld http://www.macworld....full-ipads.html

#9 User is offline   schuske 

• PipPip

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

I had a similar problem on my G5 iMac. Random "ocean sound." which is also a standard selectable sound for Macs. Mine wasn't as frequent... 2 or 3 times a day. I spent hours and hours pouring over everything and going quite deep into the machine and never got an answer. This forum didn't help.

I assumed it was a well hidden virus (possibly built into the OS).

When that machine died, I pulled the HD and did a transfer to a new Intel iMac. The sound did not migrate, TFSM.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users