Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Apple TV 5.2 update adds Bluetooth keyboard support, AirPlay sending, and more - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple TV 5.2 update adds Bluetooth keyboard support, AirPlay sending, and more

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Post your comments for Apple TV 5.2 update adds Bluetooth keyboard support, AirPlay sending, and more here

#2 User is offline   looper 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

I have a "2nd generation" AppleTV (black, 720p max, introduced 2010), and I was not aware until today that it had Bluetooth hardware. The current product page (3rd generation) now mentions it, but the Tech Specs pages for the 2nd and 3rd generation AppleTV (http://support.apple.../specs/#appletv) do no, and it isn't in my go-to resource for this kind of info, Mactracker. Googling around, I find that there was a Broadcom "WiFi/Bluetooth/FM" chip (same as in the original iPad) discovered by iFixit (http://www.ifixit.co...Teardown/3625/2) in their teardown of the 2nd generation AppleTV, as well as 8GB of storage, but Apple never exposed any of this except the WiFi to the user before today. Hrm -- wonder what else they might "unlock" down the road?

#3 User is offline   MDizzleDogg 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

The ability to send Audio via AirPlay was added in the last update.

#4 User is offline   nick_thain 

• Pip

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

Lex,
Long time reader, first time responder :o). WRT the new iTunes in the Cloud support, how does this appear on the Apple TV? I updated last night, hooked up my BT k/b, and went looking for the iTunes in the Cloud music, but could not find it. When I open 'Music', the usual iTunes Match option (which I subscribe to) is there, but I can't see anything new to indicate music from iTunes in the Cloud.

I had the same question relating to the new AirPlay options, how or where does it manifest itself? Am I missing something obvious here? Or should I be patient and wait for the Hands-On Review? ;O)
Thanks in advance mate, Nick.

#5 User is offline   davidagalvan 

• PipPip

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

When I open 'Music', the usual iTunes Match option (which I subscribe to) is there, but I can't see anything new to indicate music from iTunes in the Cloud.

If you already subscribe to iTunes Match, then the new "iTunes in the Cloud" integration does not give you anything you don't already have.

My understanding is that the "iTunes in the Cloud" integration just lets ALL iTunes-Match non-subscribers have access to their iTunes-purchased songs on the Apple TV. If you are an iTunes Match subscriber, you already have that functionality, PLUS you have access to your non-iTunes "matched" songs as well, which justifies the annual fee.

So if you are a Match subscriber I would expect you wouldn't notice any difference with this update. There's not much point in distinguishing which songs were "matched" and which were originally purchased from iTunes. You get access to all of them. If you cancel your Match subscription, with this new update you would now maintain your ability to stream any songs you purchased from iTunes (without using Airplay or Home Sharing). You'd only lose the ability to stream songs in your iTunes library that were NOT originally purchased from iTunes.

Of course, if you use home-sharing or Airplay for your music, none of this matters anyway.

#6 User is offline   ThisNameIsTaken 

• Pip

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Uh, yeah, still having the "turn on home sharing" error issue. Actually seems worse now.

#7 User is online   macassist 

• Pip

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

Uh, yeah, still having the "turn on home sharing" error issue. Actually seems worse now.

My solution is to reboot my (Wi-Fi) router. Works every time.

#8 User is offline   nick_thain 

• Pip

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

If you already subscribe to iTunes Match, then the new "iTunes in the Cloud" integration does not give you anything you don't already have. My understanding is that the "iTunes in the Cloud" integration just lets ALL iTunes-Match non-subscribers have access to their iTunes-purchased songs on the Apple TV.

Thanks David, good points, we're on the same page. I did forget to mention that I also updated a friend's ATV, who is not an iTunes Match subscriber, and under 'Music' on his ATV it showed the 'iTunes Match' screen that you would see if you had not yet signed into iTunes Match on your ATV. Vexing..

#9 User is offline   jgvp 

• PipPip

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

I knew one day I would run into this kind of problem even though I keep a record of every password I use, and of course it turned out the password for my AppleTV3 is the one exception. I realise that Apple wants to protect you should anyone else attempt to use your Apple TV, but it would seem that, as I have found so far, that if you happen to forget your password your Apple TV3 is rendered useless. Then I got to thinking "what happened when the buyer of my Apple TV2 attempted to use it ?" I'd be most appreciative if someone could help me out of this predicament. Maybe MacWorld could advise me by my registered e-mail address to protect Apple's security process. Thanks.

#10 User is offline   ikeith 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

From you computer/laptop cut your home sharing off the back on again afterwards you shouldn't have that problem till maybe a few days later it gets confused signal wise when not in use

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users