Since I often find myself in places where wifi access is challenging, I need to use my cell phone as a backup modem, either connected through Bluetooth or USB. Frequently, I need to share that connection with a friend as well. I know that OS X provides a very reliable way of sharing a connection through the System preferences in a few clicks.
The problem is, this cell phone is quite unstable during use, and even when OS X reports it as connected in a few minutes websites stop loading, and timeout, until I manually disconnect and reconnect. Also, for some reason, OS X doesn't see one modem, but two to four. Hence, using the Preference Panel to do so is somewhat inconvenient.
The application I am looking for would automatically:
- Look for the modem "slot" that is actually linked to the modem
- Connect to the modem and share connection trough AirPort, Bluetooth and Ethernet (ideally at the same time)
- Put a password on the access point
- Regularly check if websites are reachable
- Cycle connection if websites aren't reachable
I already looked in the App Store and Bodega, but haven't found any. What application would fit the bill?