Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Why, despite Flickr's improvements, Instagram still wins my heart - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why, despite Flickr's improvements, Instagram still wins my heart

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Post your comments for Why, despite Flickr's improvements, Instagram still wins my heart here

#2 User is offline   CDTobie 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

Interesting that a "Pro-Instagram" article would be published at this time, with only one sentence referencing the huge shift in sentiment about Instagram, with a major percentage of its frequent users dropping the service, including many of its most prestigious users amongst them. I was never an Instagram user, but then, I've never done much with Flickr either. Snapseed and Facebook have met my needs in that area. Besides; who wants all their photos forces to a stagnant square format? I crop to the strongest composition, and that is seldom square.

#3 User is offline   memyselfandIz 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

Instagram's fatal flaw is that its only useable if you have a smartphone. Can't access your photos in folders, see all of them, or share them on a computer. Can only do it one at a time and on a smartphone which means you can only see little versions of your photos. I don't think Instagram will ever replace Flickr unless they give you options for seeing on a computer too.

#4 User is offline   himbo 

• PipPip

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Instagram's fatal flaw is that its only useable if you have a smartphone. Can't access your photos in folders, see all of them, or share them on a computer. Can only do it one at a time and on a smartphone which means you can only see little versions of your photos. I don't think Instagram will ever replace Flickr unless they give you options for seeing on a computer too.

I'm not pro-Instagram, for whatever that's worth, but at least some of this is no longer true. Any person's account can now be accessed at instagram.com/username using any browser, where you will find a landing page with a feed of their photos that can be browsed. There's still no way to get to your photos in their organizing folders, as far as I am aware.

#5 User is offline   andefreels 

• Pip

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Congratulations on your first article!

As a photographer Flickr has never lost inertia for me. My serious photographer friends there are in large still using the service exactly the same as always. I think the service lost inertia with casual photo sharers as Facebook's popularity grew and with those looking for a quicker and more convenient mobile solution. Flickr did drop the ball concerning that sort of user but for those of us not interested in viewing mobile snap shots there, I think it's actually improved the quality of content on the site.

As far as technical specs, there's no doubt instagram is faster and easier for uploading a photo. Photographically speaking though I really enjoy the preserved aspect ratio of the Flickr app, I also enjoy the two layout options for viewing my contacts' photos. In regards to the blurry thumbnails I have to disagree, mine are crystal clear on my iPhone 5 and I checked on my wife's 4S where they are clear as well. Not sure why you're getting blurry versions, perhaps a connectivity problem or something?

One of the greatest things about the new Flickr app is access to groups. The ability to post to them, view the photostream and interact in the group forums via mobile is a huge advancement for Flickr. I've observed activity in the groups I'm a part of increasing a lot since the new app was released. The push notifications of the Flickr app are also much more varied and reliable than those of instagram.

For those who do want to upload mobile shots to flickr it's nice they won't be limited to a square crop which rarely flatters any subject, they'll also have better geotgagging, organizational options and higher resolution sharing to other networks. When sharing to Facebook for example a 2048px image is sent to the service instead of the tiny 612px image instagram sends (which looks like a thumbnail on a retina display mac). There are also filters that in my opinion are better than instagram's, if adding a filter is something you just have to do.

I think there's room for both and depending on the type of shooter you are they can both have drastically different uses. I don't think Flickr intended to make an instagram killer, I think the tech journalists put that label on it. I think they made a wonderful up to date app for those of us who like to browse quality photos not compromised by the limitations of mobile phones but with the option to share from them if so desired. I get quality interaction and comments on Flickr, on instagram it's typically just someone tapping like, which has little value to me. I think interaction amongst photographers on Flickr is a lot higher than that of casual photo sharers, which explains why instagram is better for you in that regard.

My opinion is that they're two completely separate realms with a few similar capabilities in common and each has their own place in the modern photo sharing world.

#6 User is offline   saoir 

• Pip

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

I closed by Instagram Account when they attempted to grab all of my photos as their own.

I won't be back.

#7 User is offline   JDW 

• PipPip

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

I think the point of this article is good insofar is a preaches "usability for the masses." But it overlooks one critical point that even other commentors here have missed: cost.

I use Flickr and FaceBook and Picasa to host photos online, and I use SnapSeed + iPhoto (on my iPad) and Aperture + Photoshop (on my iMac) to edit. I've never used Instagram because I like "quality" photos -- yes, even those taken on my iPad3. With me the critical point is cost... or more accurately: NO COST. My Flickr account is FREE, and so is FaceBook. If I want to share in other ways, I can use iCloud or DropBox. Why pay to share photos these days, especially if you're not a professional?

But like the author I've almost entirely stopped using Flickr, yet for different reasons. I don't want to pay. So as my photos on Flickr approach 200 (the limit for free accounts), I am not uploading any new photos because I refuse to pay for Pro. Furthermore, I found Flickr to be idiotic compared to Picasa, and especially compared to FaceBook, insofar as the maximum pixel dimension Flickr allowed Freeloaders like me to upload was restricted to 1024px! (After reading this article, I investigated and it appears that Flickr raised the pixel limit to 2048px for Freeloaders, which is nice; but I'm still up against my 200 photo limit.)

If Flickr would bump the photo limit a tad for FREE accounts, I would use it more. Honestly, I love Flickr more than Picasa for the detailed text descriptions it allows you to add, with Bold and Italic text to boot!

Go ahead and argue the "business model of Pro accounts" all you like. But as a user, I couldn't care less about that. I am a penny-pinching selfish freebie-seeker like most people. Think about it. Do you think FaceBook would be the success it is today had it charged users for its service? Not on your life.

We The People tend to choose whichever services gives us the most for free. And in this economy, such is only logical.

#8 User is offline   StauratedImagery 

• Pip

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

Instagram and Flickr are two entirely separate things. If you want to post vernacular images of your mates and your dinner with your phone use the former. If you want a fully featured sharing and backup solution for images use the latter. Or, just don't bother if you don't like it...

#9 User is offline   StauratedImagery 

• Pip

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

Also, facebook manages to mangle to colour-space in images so much that even a top quality DSLR ends up looking like a 2MP mobile...

#10 User is offline   catherinelacey 

• Pip

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

I don't see how they compare. On Instagram, I'm spammed with every post. There's no exif information or means to learn. Completely different entities.

#11 User is offline   Maxurbn 

• Pip

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:41 AM

Flickr to me offers a one-stop shop for all your photos, regardless of how you create them. 1TB of storage for professional photographers, integration into the majority of photo apps (mobile and desktop), photo organization, tags, metadata, various preview sizes and now a photo app just to name a few. While I wish the Flickr app was a simplistic as Instagram, the overall features of Flickr win hands down...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users