#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope Daily: Trying too hard here

#2 User is offline   tfmeehan 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Its always amusing to note that those who use the term "fan boy" are usually the very myopic zealots they claim Apple customers are, just for a different product.

#3 User is offline   lkrupp 

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Many people seem to think Dan Lyons was an Apple admirer and fan who changed his mind. Nope. He's always been virulently anti-Apple. His Fake Steve Jobs blog was not a tribute to Steve Jobs, it was an attempt to denigrate Jobs and Apple but it backfired and became an Onion type blow up.

#4 User is offline   lwdesign 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Lyons is at least, consistent in being a completely biased jerkwad. I have the greatest respect for rational debate, and I take great delight in those who are able to put up plausible defenses even for things that shouldn't be defended. However, Dan's arguments and examples don't even come close to sounding plausible or reasoned at all. He uses GIZMODO as an example of Mac fandom!! If he'd been paying even nominal attention to Gizmodo over the years, he'd know that they are one of the biggest Apple bashers around--which ultimately leaves me disgusted with his observational abilities. Lyons has an agenda and only looks for "evidence" which forwards his already-determined viewpoint that Apple sucks, has always sucked and will continue to suck until the company dies. Even the fact that the iPhone has overtaken Android phones in the U.S. is twisted into a detriment and more "obvious" proof that Apple and its fans are damaged goods. Somehow...

#5 User is offline   BradPDX 

• PipPip

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

I find it rather amazing that anyone still thinks can still use the term "fanboy" to refer to customers of a company with the size and success of Apple.

For a term once used to denigrate a minority point of view, the "minority" is, er, rather large. And the great majority of those users aren't reading tech blogs, frothing over the next device, or expecting Apple to deliver manna from heaven. They just bought the smartphone/tablet/computer that they liked the best; they ain't starved for choices.

#6 User is offline   quakerotis 

• PipPip

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

I'm a little confused now.

Is it fanboy

or is it fan boy

I have a friend named Dan Lyons. He's very smart. Not as smart as Tina Fey But very smart. He uses Macs and an iPhone.

#7 User is offline   Hologram 

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

Dan Lyons said, "But Apple and its cheerleaders in the States don’t just criticize Android phones; they also criticize Android users, depicting them as low-class people who are uneducated, poor, cheap and too lacking in “taste” (a favorite Apple fanboy word) to pay for an Apple product and instead willing to settle for a low-price knockoff."

Apple cheerleaders? Did I miss something? Has anybody else seen them?

Apple didn't create that categorization of Android users. Google and Samsung did that by SPECIFICALLY TARGETING, designing and making phones for

"...low-class people who are uneducated, poor, cheap and too lacking in “taste” ... to pay for an Apple product and instead willing to settle for a low-price knockoff."

Since Apple was and is still not catering to that part of the market, Samsung decided to seize the opportunity and scavenge whatever profits it could from that mass market.

Android supporters are both cheering Samsung's market share gains arrived at by their overwhelming presence in emerging markets and denouncing the stigmatization of Samsung's customers, and Android customers in general by association. You can't have it both ways.

And just for the recored, Mr. Lyons, in less fortunate parts of the world (i.e the major part), being "low-class ... uneducated, poor [and] cheap" is not an insult. It's a fact of life.

#8 User is offline   fernblatt 

• Pip

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

I'm a little confused now. Is it fanboy or is it fan boy I have a friend named Dan Lyons. He's very smart. Not as smart as Tina Fey But very smart. He uses Macs and an iPhone.

(lolz at your David Lyons friend…)

If it's in the context of GOOD it's "fanboy" but if it's meant to convey bad sheep-type behaviour, then it's spelt "fanboi".

T

#9 User is offline   fernblatt 

• Pip

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'm a little confused now. Is it fanboy or is it fan boy I have a friend named Dan Lyons. He's very smart. Not as smart as Tina Fey But very smart. He uses Macs and an iPhone. (lolz at your Dan Lyons friend…) If it's in the context of GOOD it's "fanboy" but if it's meant to convey bad sheep-type behaviour, then it's spelt "fanboi". T

(spelling error corrected from David to Dan, because Fernblatt has a similar friend named David Lyons)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users