Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Enabling FileVault for the 1st time SuperDuper, Time Machine

#1 User is offline   bud 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

What problems can I expect if I enable FireVault for the 1st time? B) I am primarily concerned about 2 issues: Time Machine and SuperDuper, but I would not object to hearing other precautions or steps I need to take.

By way of background, I have recently upgraded to Mountain Lion and I am a long-time Mac user with a LOT of files. Here are my specific questions.

I have hundreds of gigabytes of Time Machine backup going back a couple of years. If I enable FleVault:
1. Will Time Machine perceive every file as new, once my Mac is encrypted with FileVault, and thus add yet another full backup, requiring lots of storage? I probably have sufficient storage capacity to handle this but I like to know what I am getting into.
2. Will Time Machine leave all of my previous backups unprotected (as they are now), and thus I won't have gained much until Time Machine (or I, manually) delete the other backups?

I use a SuperDuper sandbox (not to be confused with Apple or other sandboxes). This means that my user directory is not stored on the boot disk. What is the recommended procedure for implementing FileVault for this situation?
3. Should I protect my boot drive, which is primarily apps and system files?
4. Will Filevault allow me to also select my user directory (only) from the other disk?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users