Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Expo Notes: Fishman's TriplePlay makes guitarists a triple threat - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Expo Notes: Fishman's TriplePlay makes guitarists a triple threat

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

Post your comments for Expo Notes: Fishman's TriplePlay makes guitarists a triple threat here

#2 User is offline   bettercitizens 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

What is the latency?

#3 User is offline   Elantric 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Happy to see this incredible tech making the rounds.

We have been following the TriplePlay development and have a user discussion forum with latest news at VGuitarforums.
http://www.vguitarfo...hp?topic=5188.0

#4 User is offline   RealTone 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:48 AM

A better solution with no hardware requirements:
www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/

#5 User is offline   blecch 

• PipPip

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

What is the latency?

According to a post on vguitarforums.com, the latency from the TriplePlay itself ranges from 14 ms on the low E string to 6 ms on the high E string, followed by whatever latency is added by your computer/OS/software.

In a session at Macworld, I listened to the output of the TriplePlay (wireless MIDI driving a sampled guitar in Omnisphere) vs. the signal from the guitar itself (wireless audio going through line 6 interface and plugins) and there was a noticeable (10 ms+?) but not terrible delay. The tracking seemed quite good, however - no missed notes, and bends and slides worked fine. I would say the TriplePlay seemed quite playable and probably just as good if not better than existing MIDI guitar pickups. All in all, I'd say it's worth trying out.

Software is cheaper but I've been unimpressed by multinote tracking, while the Fishman seemed very good (I heard one stuck MIDI note, but they blamed the plugin rather than the guitar interface. However he did retune the guitar, since the interface is apparently sensitive to tuning!!)

#6 User is offline   blecch 

• PipPip

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

The guy from Berklee college of music in Boston said he was getting rid of all of his Roland (and other) 13-pin wired MIDI guitar pickups and going completely with Fishman because of the incredible convenience of wireless, low cost, and excellent performance.

He also recommended getting a guitar that's pre-fitted with the TriplePlay, although he was playing his favorite, originally non-MIDI, Godin guitar which had been retrofitted and it worked just fine and sounded great.

#7 User is offline   blecch 

• PipPip

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

A better solution with no hardware requirements: www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/

Cheap, but I would say barely playable, even in mono mode, due to lousy tracking and excessive latency. After trying this out quite a bit, I'm not even willing to waste $20 on it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users