Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: That nline update of Java version 11 for Mac OS X 10.6. Sould I risk to install it? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

That nline update of Java version 11 for Mac OS X 10.6. Sould I risk to install it? Apple offers online update of Java version 11 for Mac OS X 10.6

#1 User is offline   rayaugst 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Apple offers online update of Java version 11 for Mac OS X 10.6 which updates Mac’s Java from SE 6 to 1.6.0_37.
However in a recent article about Java in NY Times is said that there is a serious problem with Java 7 update 10 and Apple stopped shipping computers with this version, etc.

My question:
Is there connection between these two versions of Java and if yes, should I
install the Java update offered online?

Thanks for any relevant info about this matter by knowledgeable users.
R.

#2 User is offline   primrose 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

I've read about this Java problem elsewhere and I don't quite understand it. I've got OS 10.6 and I downloaded Java 12 (not 11). It seems OK....

#3 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

View Postrayaugst, on 02 February 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

Apple offers online update of Java version 11 for Mac OS X 10.6 which updates Mac’s Java from SE 6 to 1.6.0_37.
However in a recent article about Java in NY Times is said that there is a serious problem with Java 7 update 10 and Apple stopped shipping computers with this version, etc.

My question:
Is there connection between these two versions of Java and if yes, should I
install the Java update offered online?

Install the update. You're using Java 6, so a serious problem in Java 7u10 isn't really relevant to your situation.
Apple's move to stop shipping Java with Mac OS X isn't about security problems in any particular version of Java per se. It's more about the cost and complexity of keeping their own custom build of Java up to date with patches available in a timely fashion. So instead of continuing down that path, as of Java 7 Apple is instead putting their resources into supporting the cross-platform general release of Java. It's available to the shrinking minority who need it but not installed by default because most don't and it does abstract represent a security risk to have an additional, uncontrolled operating environment running on the system.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users