Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"unknown" on user list want to remove this user

#1 User is offline   EastBayRich 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

While trying to figure out why my iMac has been behaving so strangely for the last week, I clicked Get Info on my folder in the users list. I found a user "unknown" in the permissions list who has read and write privileges. I am not able to change this user's permissions and can not find "unknown" in any directory.
Any ideas on how to track down this user and remove it from my computer?
Thanks

#2 User is offline   EGM 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Funny thing ... after reading your post, I did the same thing. Nothing wrong with my user folder, but the Shared folder had a user named "wheel" with RW privileges. Like you, I have no such user and couldn't find any other instances of that user name. I'm guessing that he, she or it was connected to my computer at some point. I was able to delete that user with no trouble, though.

Have you tried unlocking the info sheet via the padlock in its lower right corner, clicking on that user in the permissions list to select it, and then clicking the minus sign below the list to delete?

This post has been edited by EGM: 09 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

#3 User is offline   EastBayRich 

• Pip

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostEGM, on 09 February 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Funny thing ... after reading your post, I did the same thing. Nothing wrong with my user folder, but the Shared folder had a user named "wheel" with RW privileges. Like you, I have no such user and couldn't find any other instances of that user name. I'm guessing that he, she or it was connected to my computer at some point. I was able to delete that user with no trouble, though.

Have you tried unlocking the info sheet via the padlock in its lower right corner, clicking on that user in the permissions list to select it, and then clicking the minus sign below the list to delete?

#4 User is offline   EastBayRich 

• Pip

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try that but not only does the minus sign not work. I can't change the permissions for "unknown". This user remains locked in the read only mode.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users