Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: March issue problem: Macworld Digital Magazine Enhanced iPad Edition - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

March issue problem: Macworld Digital Magazine Enhanced iPad Edition

#1 User is offline   JDW 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:27 AM

When I flip to Google Maps for iPhone Drives Competition with Apple by Dan Moren on my iPad3, for a split second I see the low resolution version of the article appear and then vanish. The article text content and graphics are completely blank. Only the title at the very top and the subtitle at left remain visible. But the main body text at right is gone. I can move my finger up and down and see the vertical scroll bar, but again, the content is missing.

Quitting Newsstand and reopening the March issue does not fix the problem.

Can you folks reissue the March issue with this bug fixed?

#2 User is offline   JDW 

• PipPip

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

Here are two screen shots taken on my iPad, showing that I am not making this stuff up:

http://imageshack.us...mar2013ss1.jpg/

http://imageshack.us...mar2013ss2.jpg/

In the first screen shot, note the very bottom which shows you thumbnails of all the pages. You can see the body text content in the thumbnail, but when you open the page, the body text is gone. There is nothing wrong with my iPad, so this appears to be a "bug" in your March 2013 issue.

Which leads me to another question. Are you indeed proof reading your finished magazine on a Retina iPad before you release it into the wild? (If the March issue is any indication, the answer to that would appear to be "no.")

I really like your Digital Edition, especially because I live outside the US. But I've seen a lot of oddball things like this since I subscribed last October. These kind of things never plagued your print edition. So please give your digital edition the same excellent review process prior to releasing it.

Thanks.

#3 User is offline   JDW 

• PipPip

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

Since I'm already talking about problems I might as well add one more. It certainly isn't as bad as missing content, but it nevertheless is a problem for anyone who views MacWorld on a retina iPad. I appreciate the fact that MacWorld editors have taken time to make the digital edition mostly optimized for retina displays. However, in light of the fact that Retina MacBook Pros are readily available and therefore there's no excuse to not have the ability to make all screenshots Retina optimized, only about half of the screenshots and MacWorld are optimized for retina displays. Have a look at this screenshot I made on my iPad 3 from the March 2013 issue:

http://img38.imagesh...5/imagemvfh.jpg

Please make the time to optimize all (not just some) of your Macworld screenshots for Retina displays.

And please, please review your digital issue to ensure there's no missing content. And if you later discover from subscribers such as myself that there is missing content in an existing issue, please take the time to modify that issue and reissue it so people can obtain the content that would otherwise be missing. Such is impossible and impractical to do in your print edition, but it is very possible and very practical to do in your digital edition.

Thank you for listening.

#4 User is offline   JDW 

• PipPip

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Wow. While browsing on my iPad today, I was extremely surprised and humbled to see a Macworld update sitting in the App Store! I love the UI improvements to the Library view. But most importantly, I am thrilled to see the missing article in the March issue has been resolved.

Thank you so much for listening to user feedback here in your forum, and for reacting to it with lightning speed!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users