• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope Weekly: Just asking here

#2 User is offline   spanky 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

Wall Street...why do we listen to these people? These investment bankers can do nothing right, except bring problems to others. If you need proof, look at the economy, or better yet, look to individuals like Nick Leeson. When one of these pompous idiots speaks, we should be ready with a muzzle.

#3 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

It is true, right now,the Surface Pro has the only full (desktop) OS on a tablet, save a few Win 7 and Linux hacked tablets. Would love to see an "iPad Pro" running full OSX at the existing 128GB iPad's pricing (or even the Surface Pro). It's not far in pricing from the Surface Pro, but OSX could be a big draw. It would be okay if it's thicker, but more versatile. It would simply place the compromises on the versatility/performance side on this model.

This post has been edited by ingus: 09 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#4 User is offline   technolawyer 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Would love to see an "iPad Pro" running full OSX at the existing 128GB iPad's pricing (or even the Surface Pro).

This would be a waste of research and development. People often refer to iOS as a mature operating system. It's not. I suspect Apple is working on new input methods.

The iPad mini's keyboard has already started a mini-revolution in thumb typing productivity. Apps like WriteRoom have added an extra row of commonly used keys to speed up typing. In other words, Apple laid a foundation that developers have leveraged.

But in iOS 7 or 8 I hope we see the beginning of input methods that begin to outperform Macs, and don't require touch typing skills. I'm not necessarily referring to speech since writing by voice itself requires training, but rather a new way to use your fingers to enter text rapidly and without errors.

#5 User is offline   technolawyer 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Still no editing capabilities on Macworld. Let me just add — where is it written that QWERTY represents the apex of input methods?

#6 User is offline   slaws 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Really? Why, so we could have a no-compromise OS X experience like the Windows folks have on there total compromised "no compromise" Surface Pro?

Would love to see an "iPad Pro" running full OSX at the existing 128GB iPad's pricing (or even the Surface Pro).

#7 User is offline   markbyrn 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

Surface Pro: An expensive thick heavy tablet that you can transform into a clumsy laptop.

#8 User is offline   tfmeehan 

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

It is true, right now,the Surface Pro has the only full (desktop) OS on a tablet, ...

Except that they aren't available yet so real world use has not been tested. I have a feeling it might be like the dog that walks on its hind legs...it's not that it's done well, it's that your just amazed that it's done at all.

#9 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

View Posttfmeehan, on 09 February 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

It is true, right now,the Surface Pro has the only full (desktop) OS on a tablet, ...

Except that they aren't available yet so real world use has not been tested. I have a feeling it might be like the dog that walks on its hind legs...it's not that it's done well, it's that your just amazed that it's done at all.

I played with one at the mall yesterday. It's on sale today, and I'm very seriously considering one. (Strongly influenced by the Anandtech review).

This post has been edited by ingus: 09 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

#10 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

View Postslaws, on 09 February 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

Really? Why, so we could have a no-compromise OS X experience like the Windows folks have on there total compromised "no compromise" Surface Pro?

Yes. It will also likely be better and give MS some competition on their unit.

#11 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

View Postmarkbyrn, on 09 February 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

Surface Pro: An expensive thick heavy tablet that you can transform into a clumsy laptop.

Which people are doing now with a thin, much slower, no digital pen, iPad...
Heck, I would still consider it if it were bigger to accommodate a larger battery.
Could you imagine what Apple could do with such a device?

This post has been edited by ingus: 09 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

#12 User is offline   tfmeehan 

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

markbyrn said
Surface Pro: An expensive thick heavy tablet that you can transform into a clumsy laptop. Which people are doing now with a thin, much slower, no digital pen, iPad... Heck, I would still consider it if it were bigger to accommodate a larger battery. Could you imagine what Apple could do with such a device?

Its possible that someday Apple will sell a "no compromise" tablet but only when they feel it will not be a frustrating experience. Not because of the Surface Pro. The nonPro Surface has had disappointing sales. Not hard to understand since MS's own advertising seems to say that the only reason to buy one is so you can do that cool click, click thing with the keyboard.

I predict the Pro will mostly appeal to MS Fanboys and Apple haters. A few sales will be to people who fall for the no-compromise computing idea. But its too expensive to convince even most Windows users to abandon full-fledged laptops. I applaud MS for the attempt but I think it actually may be a case of too MUCH, too late. Like the Zune it will hang around for a while but will never get much traction.

#13 User is offline   superacidjax 

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Heck, I would still consider it if it were bigger to accommodate a larger battery.

A larger battery? 10+ hours of iPad battery isn't enough.

#14 User is offline   toolznglue 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Really? Why, so we could have a no-compromise OS X experience like the Windows folks have on there total compromised "no compromise" Surface Pro? Would love to see an "iPad Pro" running full OSX at the existing 128GB iPad's pricing (or even the Surface Pro).

It would be nice to have some amenities of a desktop OS, such as a true file system rather than the "let the app do it" that iOS provides.

I'd also like to see all of the Apple supplied APPS for both iOS and OS X offer the same features, although perhaps in different ways. As it stands, I don't think that Calendar for iOS allows you to schedule something for every fourth Tuesday of the month, while Calendar for OS X does. There's a lot of "harmonizing" that Apple really should be attending to.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users