• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

This free program does it for me. http://www.zibity.com/macdropany

#3 User is offline   updeinva 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

MacDropAny works well for linking an existing folder on your computer to your Dropbox folder.

#4 User is offline   Sonic1218 

• PipPip

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

I've achieved something similar using aliases. If there's a folder I want to sync, but don't want to change my saving habits, I just put the actual folder & contents in the Dropbox folder, and then add an alias to that folder wherever I want it or would normally look for it in my hierarchy of folders in Documents.

#5 User is offline   JohnPuterhead 

• Pip

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Yup, MacDropAny is the way to go here. Save your $35. Or do as Sonic1218 suggests which similar to what MacDropAny does.

#6 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

View PostJohnPuterhead, on 13 February 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

Yup, MacDropAny is the way to go here. Save your $35. Or do as Sonic1218 suggests which similar to what MacDropAny does.

MacDropAny is a nice application but it doesn't address the issue of selecting Dropbox within a Save dialog box by default, which I still believe is the magic bullet.

#7 User is offline   dhmmjoph 

• Pip

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Because most of the screenshots I take get immediately sent to a friend, I messed around in terminal to set the default screenshot folder to Dropbox. Now all I have to do is right click the image and I can paste it into messages.

#8 User is offline   ijd65com 

• Pip

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Symbolic links is the way to go, and they are free.

I use the standard documents folder but for certain sub folders (eg new scans) I will create a symbolic link and place that in the Dropbox folder.

Saves space by not duplicating files and the ones I requires access while on the road are automatically available.

#9 User is offline   paulstickman 

• Pip

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

JohnPuterhead said
Yup, MacDropAny is the way to go here. Save your $35. Or do as Sonic1218 suggests which similar to what MacDropAny does. MacDropAny is a nice application but it doesn't address the issue of selecting Dropbox within a Save dialog box by default, which I still believe is the magic bullet.

If you use MacDropAny with your entire documents folder then u wont need to have dropbox as a save default. Just save to your regular sub folder in your docs folder...DONE!

I use it on documents folder and desktop...always have my Mbp in my iphone via Dropbox at all times!

LUV the Macdropany !

#10 User is offline   scschulte 

• Pip

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Default folder is a wonderful application which I've used for many years. But the real solution here is to drop dropbox and go with SugarSync. With SugarSync you can keep your complete folder file structure just as you like and then elect which folders get synced.

I can't imagine that people are saving files by what application created them. That is ridiculous. Here's a real-life situation: you create a folder for a key customer or project. In that folder you have Word documents that you created, you have Excel spreadsheets, you have Keynote presentations you have some copies of text edit files, you may have a Skype discussion recording or QuickTime video. Each of these files was created in a different application but you store all this different information in one single folder under the name of your customer ABC Corporation. With the wonderful program SugarSync you simply elect to have that folder as one of your folders to be synced to the cloud to any of your other computers or iPad or iPhone etc.

So when I open up my iPad and touch the SugarSync app to open I have the exact same file structure as I have on my Mac. It's brilliant.

Unfortunately this program with the wonderful hummingbird image SugarSync is not as ubiquitous as Dropbox. Maybe someday if we can get the word out.

#11 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

View Postscschulte, on 13 February 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

I can't imagine that people are saving files by what application created them. That is ridiculous.

And yet that's exactly the idea behind iCloud's Documents in the Cloud scheme. Documents saved to iCloud appear within the host application.

Maybe not so ridiculous.

#12 User is offline   RPriest 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

... the real solution here is to drop dropbox and go with SugarSync.

For sure! SugarSync is the bomb!

#13 User is offline   elroth 

• PipPip

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

scschulte said
I can't imagine that people are saving files by what application created them. That is ridiculous. And yet that's exactly the idea behind iCloud's Documents in the Cloud scheme. Documents saved to iCloud appear within the host application. Maybe not so ridiculous.

It's still ridiculous for the situation mentioned - one account with various kinds of documents. If that makes iCloud ridiculous, so be it.

#14 User is offline   davidg2020 

• PipPip

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

scschulte said
I can't imagine that people are saving files by what application created them. That is ridiculous.

Chris Breen said
And yet that's exactly the idea behind iCloud's Documents in the Cloud scheme. Documents saved to iCloud appear within the host application. Maybe not so ridiculous.

I agree with scschulte... to save a document in a particular folder based on which app created it is just stupid. Ergo iCloud is stupid.
All of my documents are filed on a project basis.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users