• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Making Dropbox your default folder

#15 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

View Postdavidg2020, on 15 February 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

I agree with scschulte... to save a document in a particular folder based on which app created it is just stupid. Ergo iCloud is stupid.
All of my documents are filed on a project basis.

I think what you and scshulte really mean is "That's not the way I do it, and my way is the only way."

Which, ya know…

#16 User is offline   StanD 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

I've tried SugarSync, and found that it slowed my Mac down so much I had to stop using it. Dropbox doesn't seem to cause any performance hit, which is why I use it, instead.

#17 User is offline   stclairsoft 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

I think the point here is that different people DO have different workflows, and you have to set things up so they work for you. That's part of the point of Default Folder X - there are multiple ways to set it up, depending on how you work. For example, you can:

1. Set up default folders per-application as Chris described
2. Set up a default folder for all applications if you work on "project folders" like scschulte, then set up different folder sets for different projects and switch between those
3. Set up Favorites that you can get to quickly with hotkeys (which is what I do) - then I hit cmd-1, cmd-2, etc depending on where things need to go.

This can all, of course, be done to sub-folders of your DropBox folder so that it's all magically available everywhere.

I personally think the per-application model that iCloud uses is pretty broken. It's not rooted in usability or workflow, but is the result of Apple's sandboxed application model (supposedly for "better security"). In my opinion, half of the POINT of using a Mac is having interoperability and cooperation among applications - which often means editing an image in Photoshop and then placing it in a Pages document. If you're forced to save your documents to the cloud in an application-private space, this entire workflow becomes much more complicated.

#18 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

View Poststclairsoft, on 17 February 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

I think the point here is that different people DO have different workflows, and you have to set things up so they work for you. That's part of the point of Default Folder X - there are multiple ways to set it up, depending on how you work.

I'll pile on here just a tiny bit because I think some people have missed the point. I believe that in order to be really sure that you've made a document available to Dropbox or another syncing service you use (SugarSync is great too) you should to do it at the point of the save rather than trying to remember to sync files and folders later. And that's why I find Default Folder X so helpful. As explained above, it makes Save dialog boxes so much more flexible.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users