Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: RFLKT bik computer taps your iPhone's cycling potential - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RFLKT bik computer taps your iPhone's cycling potential

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

Post your comments for RFLKT bik computer taps your iPhone's cycling potential here

#2 User is offline   joeyschwartz 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

I find when my iPhone 4 is used as cycling computer, the GPS function really kills battery life. It is incredibly hard for me to get more than 100 kilometres out of it on my bike rides, so adding Bluetooth to the equation would really drain the battery. The only way I can make the phone go for a full century (100 miles or 160 kilometres), is turn off every antenna except GPS, and even then, its iffy. I now carry an external battery pack for it, but this Wahoo device doesn't really seem needed, especially if using a biking app like Cyclemeter by Abvio Inc., and a good mounting bracket and case for the phone.

#3 User is offline   DarrynLowe0qbv 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Here's a thought, why hasn't someone developed a dynamo powered charger for an iPhone? That way GPS can be used all the time without fear of flat battery. Or at least a Solar bike charger.

I suppose the limitation of the Dynamo would be the power wouldn't necessarily be constant which could cause issues for the battery.

#4 User is offline   himbo 

• PipPip

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Here's a thought, why hasn't someone developed a dynamo powered charger for an iPhone? That way GPS can be used all the time without fear of flat battery. Or at least a Solar bike charger. I suppose the limitation of the Dynamo would be the power wouldn't necessarily be constant which could cause issues for the battery.

I think also that the type of people who need a charge to last the duration of a long-distance bike ride wouldn't be hugely interested in a device that adds additional drag to the bike.

#5 User is offline   mellowJohnny 

• Pip

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

I find when my iPhone 4 is used as cycling computer, the GPS function really kills battery life. It is incredibly hard for me to get more than 100 kilometres out of it on my bike rides, so adding Bluetooth to the equation would really drain the battery. The only way I can make the phone go for a full century (100 miles or 160 kilometres), is turn off every antenna except GPS, and even then, its iffy. I now carry an external battery pack for it, but this Wahoo device doesn't really seem needed, especially if using a biking app like Cyclemeter by Abvio Inc., and a good mounting bracket and case for the phone.

One word for you Joey: Garmin. If you are doing Centuries, clearly you are a dedicated cyclist. Get a 500 or the new 510 and never worry again. The use your phone as a....phone.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users