• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:30 AM

Post your comments for Configuring your Mac's network settings here

#2 User is offline   sandman619 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

Those days are completely over. OS X practically automagically connects to any network. It just works

Cheers !

#3 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:51 AM

Thanks.

It appears the latest AirPort firmware update corrects an issue with connecting iOS devices when you leave the channels set to Automatic.

I had no problems connecting, but I had issues with speed on iOS devices. I just set the channels back to Automatic and ran speed tests. Now my iPhone 5 and iPad mini have no problems hitting right under my broadband speed of 40Mbps. :)

#4 User is offline   k88dad 

• PipPip

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

"Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?" —Roy, on The IT Crowd

Network Diagnostics will usually end up telling you to reset both your modem and your router. I look forward to the article on choosing a wi-fi channel in a crowded wi-fi neighborhood. Hint: iStumbler is a useful piece of software.

#5 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

I was surprised by the lede's premise, I find Mac users to be more network savvy than PC users over the years. Macs have always had ethernet from the beginning. I find Windows, especially from XP on to be a nightmare to get working with a WIFI network. I suspect people rather new to the Mac might have "muscle memory" of the nightmare that is Windows networking. Maybe, maybe not. But that's my own anecdotal experience.

What bothers me most about Mac network is the "Nick the IT guy" types who still whine about Appletalk being so chatty, years after that obsolete technology was put to rest.
Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#6 User is offline   DARTHMAYNARDO 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Funny that this article comes up now. My network on my mini has had issues since upgrading to Lion last weekend. We use it as a glorified base station as my girl and I are more likely to use our ipods or MBPs. We were looking to create something more secure than WEP as many of the threads classify as obsolete security. Too bad Apple doesn't give us the tools we need.

#7 User is offline   DJRumpy 

• PipPip

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

You actually don't need iStumbler these days. Just hold down the option key when right clicking on your WiFi icon in the menubar (your WiFi will need to be on for this).

Ignore the WiFi diagnostics that opens up, and from the Menubar, select "View -> WiFi Scan" (or Command + 6).

You'll get a full list of all access points, their name, BSSID, channel, Width (20/40Mhz), their Band, Security, Signal, Noise, and Protocol.

With this info, you can simply sort by Channel or Noise and choose a less crowded Channel.

If you want a quicker way to access the WiFi diag app, you'll find it under /System/Library/CoreServices/Wi-Fi Diagnostics.app

Cheers

#8 User is offline   TowerTone 

• PipPip

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Funny that this article comes up now. My network on my mini has had issues since upgrading to Lion last weekend. We use it as a glorified base station as my girl and I are more likely to use our ipods or MBPs. We were looking to create something more secure than WEP as many of the threads classify as obsolete security. Too bad Apple doesn't give us the tools we need.

?
No, really....?
I think you missed something somewhere.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users