Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Bugs & Fixes: iPhone fails to pair to Bluetooth device - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bugs & Fixes: iPhone fails to pair to Bluetooth device

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Post your comments for Bugs & Fixes: iPhone fails to pair to Bluetooth device here

#2 User is offline   SimoneUe 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

One more tip: clear out your bluetooth parings on your iPhone: my new car was not recognized by the iPhone. I tried everything. Until I started deleting pairings with old headphones etc. I got the idea that you cannot pair more than 4 or 5 devices with an iPhone at the same time, or maybe it was one pairing that blocked everything. Whatever: after weeding out, I got my pairing right.

#3 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

We are going through this bluetooth headache pretty much every day to other day with a Uniden D1780 bluetooth capable home phone system, with an iPhone 4 and 4s. I have not kept count of the ratio, but it is probably like 1/3 connects automatically when you walk in, 1/3 connects after settings bluetooth connect, 1/3 connects after rebooting the phone. You can have one phone connect, but not the other, both or neither. Consistently though if you restart the phone it connects???

#4 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

My JVC car stereo frequently loses connection to my iPhone 5 (and previous 4S) if I'm not streaming music.

There are also times when placing or answering a call via the iPhone won't display on the JVC, and I have to hang up using the iPhone.

I haven't been able to find any firmware updates on the JVC site... I'll have to check it again.

#5 User is offline   sg99 

• Pip

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:28 AM

Another "fix" for intermittent recognition is to enter and exit Airplane Mode. Airplane Mode turns off the radio and radio processor so they get a fresh start when you turn things back on.

This also fixes some wifi issues.

My older Lexus has always had BT issues, with any smartphone. Turning the phone off and on fixed things but Airplane Mode also works and is much faster and easier.

#6 User is offline   msaccone 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

modifying iphone 5 settings wors for me! thank u very much.

just one comment, I don't have the submenu Physical & Motor, from Accesibilty just go straight forward to incoming calls

#7 User is offline   gconnieg 

• Pip

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

My I-phone 5 synced with no problem to my 2009 Ford Taurus but when I tried syncing it with our 2012 Ford Escape, no dice. When I called Apple I was basically given the "your car needs its firmware updated" song and dance. I'm not one to give up easily so I used the tip to change settings to headset and it still wasn't working, but I kept at it. I discovered that for Ford vehicles BOTH phone and vehicle need to show "SYNC" on their menus before pairing will take place. When this happened, the second little box on my phone dropped down and allowed me to enter the PIN and I was set. I then double checked to make sure the Taurus was still synced--it was. Hurrah! I hope this helps someone else.

#8 User is offline   200959 

• Pip

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

This combination worked for me:
1) Modify iPhone Settings: I changed the Incoming Calls setting from Default to Headset.
2) Clear the device’s memory: I wiped the the car system’s memory clean, having it “forget” all previously paired devices.
After doing the above, pairing with my iPhone was successful, thanks.

#9 User is offline   TS2013 

• Pip

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

I encountered the same problem with my iPhone 5. It wouldn't pair with my car stereo or any other Bluetooth device. I went to Best Buy to have them update the firmware, but that didn't work. Then they deleted all the phones that had previously been paired to the stereo - that didn't do the trick either. Finally, I went to the Apple store and after doing a factory reset (which was not one of the solutions listed in this article), my phone now pairs with Bluetooth devices beautifully.

#10 User is offline   stoneyjb 

• Pip

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

I just now upgraded from iPhone 4s to 5s and from 7.0.3 to 7.0.4. None of my Bluetooth devices will pair with my or my daughters iPhone 5s. At the apple store, we tried an iPhone 4 with OS 7.0.4 having the same results. BUT before the upgrade my iPhone 4s and my daughter's iPhone 4, running os 7.0.3, work great with my Bluetooth devices.

I called Apple Technical support and the supervisor suggested I upgrade the firmware in my Bluetooth devices. Sorry but if I cannot, I must buy new blue tooth devices? Great :-(( Thanks Apple.

The iPhone uses a software MAC to run their WiFi and Bluetooth. If the new OS cannot pair with a commercial Plantronic Bluetooth head set, then it is my problem and I have to buy new Bluetooth devices?

A rather unhappy customer.

#11 User is offline   heidiB94510 

• Pip

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Ok so this is how I linked my jawbone to my new iPhone 5S.

1. Turn Bluetooth on in settings
2. Hold down the answer/disconnect button on the jawbone and KEEP held down while you turn ON the jawbone. DO NOT release the button. The light on the jawbone should flicker red & white.
3. Phone will locate the jawbone device then click on the device on the phone.
4. Continue to hold down the button on the jawbone until the phone connects to it. Once connected you can release.

Hope this helps someone. :0)

#12 User is offline   hpylori 

• Pip

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Many thanks to those leaving comments. After many frustrating attempts to connect via BlueTooth my wife's iphone 5 (newest) to her Toyota RAV4 (2012), your comments helped. Her iphone 3 worked fine, and with the new phone, a call would ring her phone but the phone would not answer when the phone button was pushed. After reading the advice in this thread, I deleted the old iphone and started with BT Pairing, but this time modified the phone to General and proceeded as below. It worked immediately. Thanks ALL!!!

"Modify iPhone Settings: A number of users had success by making a change in the iPhone’s Settings app. Specifically, navigate to General > Accessibility > Physical & Motor. From here, change the Incoming Calls setting from Default to Headset. This change ensures that the iPhone creates a Bluetooth headset pairing to your car’s audio system, which is needed for phone calls to work as expected. When you are not in your car, the iPhone reverts to its “normal” behavior."

#13 User is offline   gord58 

• Pip

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

Having tried everything to connect my iphone 4 IOS 7.04 and previous IOS systems by bluetooth to anything and failed I was beginning to think it was the hardware in my phone . So in one last attempt I jailbroke my phone and used an app off there and it worked. If these people can sort this kind of problem why can't Apple .

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users