Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

External hard drive suggestions

#1 User is offline   katdaddy1999 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

I'm looking into purchasing an external hard drive to host iTunes library and double as a backup for my iMac hard drive. Any suggestions as to which hard drives out there would be a good fit to store my entire iTunes library and fast enough to stream to my Apple TV?

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

View Postkatdaddy1999, on 18 February 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

I'm looking into purchasing an external hard drive to host iTunes library and double as a backup for my iMac hard drive. Any suggestions as to which hard drives out there would be a good fit to store my entire iTunes library and fast enough to stream to my Apple TV?

Personally, these days I "build" my own external drives. I buy the bare internal drive of the size (and other specs) that I need and then buy an enclosure that for that bare internal drive that fits my needs.

For the drives that I use with my Macs, I tend to buy the enclosure from OWC (i.e. http://www.macsales.com/). They have a good selection of enclosures with "Mac appropriate" connections (i.e. Firewire for my Mac with a Firewire port).

You can also buy their enclosures with a drive included from them.

This post has been edited by smax013: 18 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

#3 User is offline   HappinessPays 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:15 AM

We use a product called Scannerz which is an excellent drive testing tool. We had problems with a Seagate external drive when we moved our systems from Lion to Mountain Lion. We called their tech support, and when they looked into the matter, they found that there were a fair number of reports on incompatibilities between Mountain Lion and a number of external drives. Apparently the problems didn't exist until Mountain Lion was released. Most of the vendors are releasing updates to address the problems. The Seagate we had would just, out of the blue, go to sleep, even when it was active. Scannerz is a good product but it can't detect OS bugs. What product can?

You didn't say what OS you were using, so I'm assuming it's Mountain Lion. Before you look for recommendations, I suggest you do a web search for incompatibilities between drives and the OS. As far as I'm concerned, Mountain Lion appears to be bug ridden, at least by today's standards. If you're using Snow Leopard or Lion, apparently these problems don't exist.

Another note: The drives that have problems seem to use drivers, not run "out of the box" so it looks to me like it's a software incompatibility problem, not necessarily the interface. Anyone adding a drive might want to consider avoiding manufacturers drivers unless they're fully up to date.

This post has been edited by HappinessPays: 06 March 2013 - 03:18 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users