Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Apple confirms cyber attack, will release security tool - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple confirms cyber attack, will release security tool

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

Post your comments for Apple confirms cyber attack, will release security tool here

#2 User is offline   lenn 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Turn off Java people! I bet at least 95% of Mac users don't even need Java.

#3 User is offline   KeithMKing 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Turn off Java people! I bet at least 95% of Mac users don't even need Java.

Great advice! But how do you know if you have Java installed and if it is installed how do you uninstall it?

#4 User is offline   my2cents 

• PipPip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

I wonder if the piece of junk MacKeeper was the lager of a hacker master plan to attack Macs. It might have opened all kinds of back doors to make OSX vulnerable.

#5 User is offline   bsmith8900 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Whew! I'm sure glad Macs are impervious to malware. Wait...what?

#6 User is offline   DARTHMAYNARDO 

• Pip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Turn off Java people! I bet at least 95% of Mac users don't even need Java. Great advice! But how do you know if you have Java installed and if it is installed how do you uninstall it?

In Safari, go to Preferences. Under Security, uncheck the Java box.

Happy Surfing, but skip the "fortune cookies".

#7 User is offline   artMonster 

• PipPip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

"...Apple released a Java update late on Tuesday for Mac OS X 10.7 or later that patches a number of security vulnerabilities as well as scanning for the most common variants of the malware in question and removing them. If malware is found, the user will be notified of its removal."

I am wondering if this malware only runs as a Java app, or does the Java exploit install malware that runs on its own? In case some people removed Java previously, but perhaps the dirty deed was already done. Apple does not appear to have a standalone detector for this exploit.

#8 User is offline   soulatrium 

• PipPip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

I installed the new Java update from Apple, but after updating I went to the Java Preferences Pane (in System Preferences) and it had another update waiting for me. This is confusing.

#9 User is offline   SockRolid 

• PipPip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

LOL. Software Update didn't find any new security tool or patch. Ran Utilities -> Java Preferences, and saw an alert that said "To open Java Preferences, you need a Java Runtime. Would you like to install one now?"

Um, no. Done. With. Java.

(And yes, I've kept "Enable Java" un-checked on Safari Preferences -> Security for quite some time now.)

#10 User is offline   Knighstalker 

• Pip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Where's the malware removal tool?

#11 User is offline   Dotkhan 

• PipPip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

I'd like to see how many successful exploits thee have been in the 12 years of OSX and the total number of infected Macs. Then compare those figures to PCs.
One comparison figure is 1,000 times more attempts along with only a dozen worldwide compromised Macs each time except for 1 or 2 times such as Flashback. Thousands of PCs tend to suffer for each of those pieces of malware.
If that estimate is accurate, then Macs are about 1,000,000 times safer.
Any confirmation on how low the risks actually are?

#12 User is offline   Hodar 

• Pip

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

Whew! I'm sure glad Macs are impervious to malware. Wait...what?

Actually, the OS is pretty impervious - the exploit was in Java (written by Oracle). When you add 3rd party extensions to your OS, they bring vulnerabilities to your OS. This wasn't a flaw with OSX, it was a flaw in Java.

Isn't it funny how some really elementary facts seem to tear your whole line of reasoning apart?

#13 User is offline   masonic 

• Pip

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

I'd like to see how many successful exploits thee have been in the 12 years of OSX and the total number of infected Macs. Then compare those figures to PCs. One comparison figure is 1,000 times more attempts along with only a dozen worldwide compromised Macs each time except for 1 or 2 times such as Flashback. Thousands of PCs tend to suffer for each of those pieces of malware. If that estimate is accurate, then Macs are about 1,000,000 times safer. Any confirmation on how low the risks actually are?

#14 User is offline   masonic 

• Pip

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

I'd like to see how many successful exploits thee have been in the 12 years of OSX and the total number of infected Macs. Then compare those figures to PCs. One comparison figure is 1,000 times more attempts along with only a dozen worldwide compromised Macs each time except for 1 or 2 times such as Flashback. Thousands of PCs tend to suffer for each of those pieces of malware. If that estimate is accurate, then Macs are about 1,000,000 times safer. Any confirmation on how low the risks actually are?

LOL, you can't compare Apples with Oranges. There are probably 1,000,000 times more PCs then MACs, so PCs will always get more attacks.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users