#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

Post your comments for Fixing a Safari-to-Mail disconnect here

#2 User is offline   aestival 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

Good advice, but fairly certain you should have added that to share a web link through the menus (i.e. to see the menu as shown in the article), you need to hold down the shift key. Without the shift key, you end up with the default (mailing the page rather than a link). Then again, perhaps my installation of Safari is non-standard somehow.

This post has been edited by aestival: 20 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

#3 User is offline   VG3TV 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

Christopher,
Your solution is far from a perfect fix. The change you suggest will cause Mail to add your signature to the bottom of EVERY email you respond to. If the thread is long then your signature will wind up at the very bottom of the response and probably go unnoticed.

I'm not sure if the problem is with Safari or Mail but sharing a web link worked perfectly before upgrading to Mountain Lion. Mail would treat the command to share the weblink from Safari properly and place the URL above your signature as if you were typing a new message. Now its sporadic at best. I've tried every combination of Signature placement but nothing fixes the problem without causing another issue with Signature placement while using Mail.

Lou ...

#4 User is offline   djdawson 

• Pip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

I still use a little snippet of Javascript that I save in my Bookmarks Bar and it behaves just as I want - the URL and any text I've selected in the web page get inserted into a new Mall message before my signature. It also seems to be somewhat browser-agnostic (I haven't done exhaustive tests, but last I tried it works with Firefox), which is another plus. Here's the Javascript I use, which I found on the 'net a few years ago (I'm guessing the formatting may not appear correctly):

javascript:location.href='mailto:?SUBJECT=Interesting%20URL:%20%20%22'+document.title+'%22&BODY=%3C'+escape(location.href)+'%3E%5Cr%5Cr'+window.getSelection()

#5 User is offline   p 

• Pip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

I don't get it. I use Safari 6.0.2 and still have the "File>Mail Link to This Page (Shift-Command-I)" menu option. ??? So the article makes no sense to me.

#6 User is offline   MichaelButler 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I get it, (and I get why PC users have such a great time with Mac users). Thanks, crystal clear.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users