• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:30 AM

Post your comments for How to disable Java on your Mac here

#2 User is offline   gk_brown 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:24 AM

AFAIK, these recent exploits target the Java plugin, not the runtime. If so, it should be sufficient to remove or disable the plugin only, rather than removing the entire runtime. That will effectively disable Java in the browser while still allowing desktop-based Java applications to run.

#3 User is offline   Chucky 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

What about Java 8 (early release editions)? Is it susceptible to the same security threats?

#4 User is offline   HookSencho 

• Pip

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

"I don’t make this recommendation lightly. Removing Java will be problematic for some people..."

Dreamweaver CS6 will not start without Java. That makes it a little more than "problematic" for a lot of people. Is there a way to run Dreamweaver without Java?

#5 User is offline   CidAttwater 

• Pip

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

AFAIK, these recent exploits target the Java plugin, not the runtime. If so, it should be sufficient to remove or disable the plugin only, rather than removing the entire runtime. That will effectively disable Java in the browser while still allowing desktop-based Java applications to run.

Yes, you are absolutely right. Though Java isn't really doing much, other than diminishing the security, disabling it in the browser will fix this problem. Even if you are using something other than a Mac, you should still disable it. This website has good instruction on how to do this http://disablejava.com/#howto

#6 User is offline   aross99 

• Pip

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

I think you are missing a set of quotes around one of those rm commands, because of the space in "Internet Plug-ins"

sudo rm -rf /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

This might be better:

sudo rm -rf "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin"

#7 User is offline   Dotkhan 

• PipPip

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

My question is a bit of the previous ones.
I have Java 1.5 and use Dreamweaver 4 on Leopard.
My guess is to isolate this and hope that the crackers may be more likely to concentrate on current versions of Java.

After finishing a few projects that may not be supported, I'll be updating to Snow Leopard. Like many others, I'm not happy with what I hear about the stability of Lion or Mountain Lion.

#8 User is offline   SpaceCoder 

• PipPip

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

I guess knowing your subject matter isn't a requirement at MacWorld.

Java plugin is where the exploits are being made. Disabling Java in the browser should be sufficient to prevent all of the reported exploits. In addition Oracle released patch 15 for Java 7 which addresses five exploits.

Recommending to uninstall the entire Java JRE is a little drastic and borders on fear mongering.

#9 User is offline   PeterJennings 

• PipPip

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

"I don’t make this recommendation lightly. Removing Java will be problematic for some people..." Dreamweaver CS6 will not start without Java. That makes it a little more than "problematic" for a lot of people. Is there a way to run Dreamweaver without Java?

Hmm. I'm running Dreamweaver CS5 on Snow Leppard with Java disabled system wide and I've never had any problems. But there is an Adobe CS6 FAQ saying some things require Java, but they're not telling what! I guess mandetory Java is one of those CS6 features I'm missing out on!

If you need Java you need it. Disabling it in ALL your browsers (even website testing browsers that don't get regular use) shouldn't prevent you from working in DW. And if you do use DW everyday you can always disable Java system wide when your not using it.

#10 User is offline   PeterJennings 

• PipPip

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

Drrr ... I mean "if you DON'T use DW everyday you can always disable Java system wide when your not using it."

#11 User is offline   HookSencho 

• Pip

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

"I don’t make this recommendation lightly. Removing Java will be problematic for some people..." Dreamweaver CS6 will not start without Java. That makes it a little more than "problematic" for a lot of people. Is there a way to run Dreamweaver without Java? Hmm. I'm running Dreamweaver CS5 on Snow Leppard with Java disabled system wide and I've never had any problems. But there is an Adobe CS6 FAQ saying some things require Java, but they're not telling what! I guess mandetory Java is one of those CS6 features I'm missing out on! If you need Java you need it. Disabling it in ALL your browsers (even website testing browsers that don't get regular use) shouldn't prevent you from working in DW. And if you do use DW everyday you can always disable Java system wide when your not using it.

I followed the author's recommendation and removed the folder /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/ When I tried to launch DW CS6, it displayed a message that "you need a java se 6 runtime". I installed Java 7 Update 15 and tried it again. It did not work. So I allowed DW to install the runtime on it's own (there was a button for that) and everything's back to normal. The file now in that folder is 1.6.0.jdk. I have disabled all browser plugins, but as I said the recommendation to completely remove Java from my Mac (10.8.2) prevented it from launching.
I just wanted to get this information out so others that have the same problem can use it as a reference.

#12 User is offline   rmogull 

• Writer
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

HookSencho-

Sorry, but yes, there are cases like CS6 where this won't work (I'll see if I can add that one in, I didn't know it was a problem). That's why the isolation advice is also in the article.

The reason I recommend removing completely if you can is this quote-

" If you run into that situation, consider taking the steps outlined below for isolating Java; for other users, however, living without Java may be the most satisfactory course. That way, you avoid the risk that of having your Java reactivated at some point in the future."

It's is insanely easy to accidentally reactivate the plugin, or for someone else on your computer to do so, so I do think removing it is the best option if it will work for you.

Personally I have a mix- it is removed from my laptop, but I have it on my desktop still (although trying my best to get rid of it).

#13 User is offline   aperegrino 

• Pip

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

I have used StaCrunch (a statistical site). It doesn't work anymore since Java 7. Support said that we can try to donwgrade Java do version 6 (I don't know if I can do it anymore in Mac OS 10.8.2). And the site (statistical package on line) doesn't work. Problems, problems, problems with Java and Mac.

#14 User is offline   Thornezilla 

• Pip

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

A question about using the Terminal command to get the Java version: does if still work correctly? I've installed the latest 7_15 Java from www.java.com on both a 10.7.5 and 10.8.2 Mac, and they have the new Java Pref Pane that opens the Java Control Panel utility.

In that utility, if I click the Java tab at the top, then click the View button, the Java Runtime Environment Settings window shows this for both User and System on both Macs:
Platform - 1.7, Product - 1.7.0_15

But the Terminal command returns the following result on both systems:
java version "1.6.0_37"
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_37-b06-434-11M3909)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.12-b01-434, mixed mode)

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users