Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Software Stuck Pixel

#1 User is offline   rickoberndorf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

On my MacBookPro, I will occasionally see what looks like a stuck pixel (white spot against dark background). However, it occurs in different places on the screen AND it is immediately fixed by logging out and back in. (Don't even need to restart.) So, I'm convinced it's a software, not hardware problem.

My questions:
-- Does anyone have any idea what causes this?
-- Since logging out and back in can take a while, is there a "display control" process that I can kill that will cause the graphic card to refresh the display without having to log out?

2011 MBP 17", OS 10.8.2

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

View Postrickoberndorf, on 21 February 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

On my MacBookPro, I will occasionally see what looks like a stuck pixel (white spot against dark background). However, it occurs in different places on the screen AND it is immediately fixed by logging out and back in. (Don't even need to restart.) So, I'm convinced it's a software, not hardware problem.

My questions:
-- Does anyone have any idea what causes this?
-- Since logging out and back in can take a while, is there a "display control" process that I can kill that will cause the graphic card to refresh the display without having to log out?

2011 MBP 17", OS 10.8.2

Does it happen randomly? Or does it happen when you are doing specific things or using specific programs?

#3 User is offline   rickoberndorf 

• PipPip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

Yes, it seems to be random. At least not connected to anything I can remember doing before it occurs. The pixel is at a different spot on the display each time and stays "stuck" no matter what is displayed in that area, including Tech Tool Pro's video memory test (which passes, by the way).

This post has been edited by rickoberndorf: 22 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users