Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Why the iPad still can't be a true Mac replacement - Macworld Forums

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why the iPad still can't be a true Mac replacement

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

Post your comments for Why the iPad still can't be a true Mac replacement here

#2 User is offline   Davejcummings 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

It's why I'd love to see a "iPad Pro" or something along those lines. You know, an iPad device, utilizing the OSX. I'd hate to bring up the competition, but like how the Surface Pro utilized the full Windows OS. I'd also allow it to have full pressure sensitivity (and to allow for styluses that have thin points) for those who use the Mac for digital art. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my iPad, but for it to replace the laptop, there is alot for them to do first.

#3 User is offline   ecphoto 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

the iPad being what is it and who it was designed for led me to Android and the Nexus 7. The lack of a real file browser, plug in sync with only itunes and sandboxing - keep me not interested. Android isn't perfect but it is much more like a regular computer.

#4 User is offline   ckrg 

• Pip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

Surprised you didn't mention that iOS Safari is far from equivalent to OSX Safari! This can really get you into trouble if you're traveling and thought it would be sufficient to just carry an iPAD!

#5 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

If an iPad (or any device) can meet your wants/needs, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It simply shows that you don't have a want/need for a general purpose computer.
I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#6 User is offline   HaiWooTanixld 

• Pip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Agree. But also depends on your profession and nature of your work.

I am a new media/UI/Motion Graphic Designer, so there is no way I can work solely on my iPad. I work on a MacPro at work and an iMac at home, I did have a MacBook air (now it's my sis) and now a MacBook Pro Retina, when I am not on my desk in my office and out, requiring me to do work.

I still consider my iPad mini more of a content-cosuming device, but I would bring it to meetings now instead of a notebook and pen. Used to own a 3rd gen iPad but loving more of the mini's size and weight because my main activity on it is actually reading eBooks, mags and newspapers.

#7 User is offline   ctoddy1 

• PipPip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Multiple Windows/True Multitasking - this feature alone keeps me firmly in the Mac camp for any true work. Don't get me wrong. Love my iPad. Replace my Mac. I don't see that ever happening until I no longer actually work for a living.

#8 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

View Postctoddy1, on 22 February 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

Multiple Windows/True Multitasking - this feature alone keeps me firmly in the Mac camp for any true work. Don't get me wrong. Love my iPad. Replace my Mac. I don't see that ever happening until I no longer actually work for a living.

iPad's truly multitask great. With perfect task isolation. You just need a lot of them. ;)

#9 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

View Postingus, on 22 February 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

iPad's truly multitask great. With perfect task isolation. You just need a lot of them. ;)

Actually, the last time I remember discussing this on this forum, a guy commented that he used two iPads and copy/cut and pasted between them using a third-party service. There were some people using iPads in interesting ways, but I doubt I'll ever get by with only an iPad. Not even for personal use. Still, if you're interested, search the forum. The topic was posted prior to the design/backend switch that made macworld.com so much less useful. :-/

#10 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

View Postwardoggie, on 22 February 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

View Postingus, on 22 February 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Actually, the last time I remember discussing this on this forum, a guy commented that he used two iPads and copy/cut and pasted between them using a third-party service. There were some people using iPads in interesting ways, but I doubt I'll ever get by with only an iPad. Not even for personal use. Still, if you're interested, search the forum. The topic was posted prior to the design/backend switch that made macworld.com so much less useful. :-/

I'm sure you detected my sarcasm. Actually, didn't copy/paste finally get added to iOS for the iPad?

#11 User is offline   FoosaCat 

• Pip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

the iPad being what is it and who it was designed for led me to Android and the Nexus 7. The lack of a real file browser, plug in sync with only itunes and sandboxing - keep me not interested. Android isn't perfect but it is much more like a regular computer.

Well said! I have a MacBook Air, an iPad 1 and 3, a Asus TF-101 transformer a Nexus 7 and Galaxy note2 I spend more time getting work done on the MacBook or the TF-101 with the keyboard dock. I have tried using the iPad 3 I really tried Especially for how much I paid for it but I find myself grabbing the TF-101 or the Air. because of the keyboard and the file system the android tablet and Air provides it also has a SD card reader and 2 USB ports. if the Apple would provide either it would be a much better laptop replacement. But since Apple is so paranoid and living in their wall garden the iPad never be a True replacement.

#13 User is offline   alanskyone 

• PipPip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

The headline implies that the iPad is getting closer to being a real Mac replacement. Nothing could be further from the truth as far as I'm concerned. I love my iPad, but is it a reasonable substitute for a laptop? Not even close!

#14 User is offline   pgerrish 

• Pip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Agree very much with the article. My wife and I also use our iPad most frequently but for our professional work and work in the enterprise we do need a desktop or mac air for when away. Apple do not seem interested in the business or enterprise. There really needs to be some form of centralised file system so you can use the relevant app and not have multiple copies of same document each in its own app; the Open in app only creates multiple copies. A basic enterprise workflow of downloading agenda and docs for meeting from email attachments, having multiple ones open so you can flick between a PDF, spreadsheet and word document while making notes perhaps for the minutes is a real problem. GoodReader does get near to this in at least allowing downloading of attachments into app, multiple documents of different types open in tabs, annotating PDF but taking notes is an issue.

I would think a centralised controlled file system ( only one copy would help storage space) even if semi sandboxed and some form of windowing is essential for it come near replacing laptop completely. Although it hurts to say Android tablets ate much more useful in enterprise environment in that they have a file store system.

#15 User is offline   ecphoto 

• Pip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

i have both a Nexus 4 and a 7 (used to have iphones) along with a Mac Pro and Macbook Pro. I really like that I can just plug in those devices and file browse and transfer anything I want. Drag music, documents, images on and off. Along with Dropbox and other cloud services of course. I can use Airdroid to control anything in the phone through Chrome on a desktop/laptop. These Android devices have become more of an extension of my Macs than I imagined.
I work in photography and many (magazine) people are using iPads on the go instead of laptops - but many times they have trouble with links or files sent to them. Maybe its user error or they misjudge the capability of iPads as laptop replacements.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users