Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Intel® Xeon® CPU W3530 @ 2.80GHz - Graphics Cards - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Intel® Xeon® CPU W3530 @ 2.80GHz - Graphics Cards One Graphics Card / Two Cards / More Powerful Card

#1 User is offline   thetazeta 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

I have a Mac Pro Intel® Xeon® CPU W3530 @ 2.80GHz on which I am processing graphic files in the 75 to 300MB range via Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

I'll be upgrading the current 16GB RAM to 48GB soon, but had a question about a graphics card upgrade.

The Mac has a Apple installed Radeon HD 5770 Graphics, which uses one of the two power attachments.

I currently use a NEC PA241W for design work, while I use old large (and free) crt monitors for general work. I may add another PA241W or similar monitor in the future, but this is a low priority for now.

I am looking to possibly increase the performance of Photoshop CS6 from the Master Creative Suite and was wondering if anything would be gained by:

1. Adding a second Radeon HD 5770 and running each monitor from a separate card to perhaps provide a boost for PS on the NEC screen. $274.00

2. Adding a Radeon HD 5870, which would require the removal of the 5770 as it uses both power attachments. Its more powerful than the 5770, but then both monitors would be running off the same card. $483.00

I am leaning towards #1, but not sure if anything would be gained for PS for the $

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users