Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Give Glass a chance: Google has a vision of a wearable future - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Give Glass a chance: Google has a vision of a wearable future

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

Post your comments for Give Glass a chance: Google has a vision of a wearable future here

#2 User is offline   flowney 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Wearable computing devices are merely prototypes for implanted computing devices. I certainly want the bugs fixed and UX details worked out fully before I accept an implant. One of the first apps I'll upload is "Terminator Version" where it does facial recognition and then provides me with all sorts of information vital to my mission. If I'm a salesperson, it will give me all the data I need to ingratiate myself to them. If I am a hit person ... You get the idea. Apple's iWatch, if it exists, is a more timid offering than Glass but it will be more profitable initially.
Dr. Frank Lowney Georgia College & State University
Senior Director for External Projects
and Assistant to the Director, Digital Innovation Group @ Georgia College

#3 User is offline   Swift2 

• PipPip

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

I'm just not sure I want a heads-up display in my brain. What if the battery fails? What if it leaks? What if it shorts?

As for glasses, I didn't have to wear the damn things for the first 42 years of my life. Then I had to wear them for a while, and I hated them. In fact, the ability to throw away my glasses was what you would have to call the bright side of having cataracts removed from each eye, and a Bausch & Lomb lens inserted. I haven't had to wear the damn glasses for the last 10 years, and I can read like a 20-year old. That's liberation. A pair of stupid glasses so I can get the Google ID of everyone I meet? Do I get cheap glasses if I agree to advertising in my central cortex? Something that takes over an old niche, like a wristwatch -- haven't worn one of those since I got my iPhone -- that might have a place. Maybe.

#4 User is offline   wlunscher 

• PipPip

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

It was the Dominion on DS9 that used the Google Glasses.
A better example is the short-lived Earth 2 where they were used extensively, including for augmented reality.

I can very much see it. People wear sunglasses at night, don't they. Well, not me. But when the time comes to shed my glasses by virtue of replacing my eye lenses (as my 88 year old mother did), I may well continue wearing protective eyewear anyway. So why not VR/Google glasses. Then again, embedding them directly in the eye lenses may work much better. It's only a 5 minute operation, and the lenses are getting better all the time.

#5 User is offline   Showman 

• PipPip

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Why is this getting any play? People hate wearing glasses. About the only innovation in glasses is how to make them lighter because people hate wearing them. Now Google wants you to put on a pair that figuratively weigh a ton so you can be distracted by your surroundings even more? If anyone but Google, or Apple were doing this no one would pay attention.

#6 User is offline   macreader 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

It'll be an interesting experiment. Will Glass be cool, beyond the uncool geek set?
I'm thinking of the first few kids to walk down the street in Cambridge or Ann Arbor or Berkeley wearing Glass glasses. Will others think they're really hip or uber dorks?
I'd hate to have real money riding on that bet.

#7 User is offline   Hologram 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

.. and tomorrow's big story:

"63% Of People Polled Don't Want A Google Glass"

Are consumers excited by Google's Glass?

Yahoo Finance searched for an answer when it published its latest poll, which asked consumers the following question:

Google is reportedly introducing Google Glass. How interested would you be in buying a Google Glass?

Very interested (18,325) — 18 percent
Somewhat interested (19,529) — 19 percent
I already have glasses (65,179) — 63 percent

#8 User is offline   DCJ001 

• PipPip

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

It'll be an interesting experiment. Will Glass be cool, beyond the uncool geek set?

You think that geeks are not cool?

#9 User is offline   GlennC777 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

There is one important basis on which to separate these products without knowing anything else about them: Google's profit motive involves collecting personal information and using it to their benefit. Apple's profit motive involves maintaining a reputation for respecting user privacy.

#10 User is offline   JohnHowelljl8s 

• PipPip

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Would I wear them all day long at the office! Nope. Would I wear them to keep an eye on my pace, and show me a map of my run route? yes, I possibly would.
Any place you see someone with a go-pro camera, they might use GGlasses instead. Anytime you need hands free operation, manual for working on my car, parts list in a store etc.

#11 User is offline   StefN 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

You mean Samsung Glass, don't you? Remember the iPhone...

#12 User is offline   s0c0m 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

It seems too little for me. To me it would almost get annoying seeing something flicker out of the corner of you eye all the time or being able to see clearly only out of a portion of your eye. I definitely couldn't see it being used while driving. it would be like driving with 1 3/4 of your eyes. To me they need full glasses. even then I just don't see how this beats getting my phone out of my pocket. For even a techy this thing would get useless after awhile. They wouldn't use any of the features. is a techy going to use this for a speech? Or use it to look up stuff when he's already at a computer? Other then just a whimsical idea this thing won't take off. plus a 1500 no way. only CEO's and news casters will find this product useful.

#13 User is offline   Harvey 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Your face is no place to put a computer... unless you are the Borg.

A wrist mounted computer does make sense. It's out of the way when you don't need it. It isn't a barrier between you and the people you talk to, or between you and moving around in the real world.

If Apple or anyone else can come out with a wrist mounted device that can replace your smartphone, it will be a major advancement.

When your hands are busy doing something else (carrying large objects, working, etc.) it's easy to glance at your wrist to see who is calling or what notification you are receiving... but not easy to put everything down, and dig into your pockets to check your phone.

If Apple really is working on a wrist mounted device, we can bet based on Apple's track record that it will be a game changing product.

#14 User is offline   SockRolid 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

I think we should get ready for people staring into the distance, or staring at the ground, or staring at whatever isn't another human near them. While they're wearing Google Glass and laughing, crying, cringing at what they see that nobody else sees. While they're being bombarded by Googlespam and recording everyone within sight and uploading it all to the web.

Let's call these people "Glassholes," shall we?

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users