• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:00 AM

Post your comments for Siri vs. Google Search here

#2 User is offline   sriniadd 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:41 AM

Does Google Search tell you what your next appointment is?

#3 User is offline   gspet 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

When I first install Google Search does it ask me to sign in with a gmail account? Does it request access to location services or other personal data? I have a goal of providing Google with as little of my personal data as possible.

#4 User is offline   revco 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:24 AM

Same. Disabled Siri once I discovered Google does a superior job at finding and reporting data.

#5 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:35 AM

Though I do wish Siri was more polished (and faster), there are many things Google Search just can't do: Read and reply to messages (while driving) is one of the main ones. Siri doesn't always get it right, but that's one time I'll take my chances.

#6 User is offline   Steve_S 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

Unfortunately, it would appear that Rob Griffiths isn't aware of how Siri is actually used. Asking simple questions is the most basic feature and on that task, I would agree that Google's search app is impressively fast. However, where Siri shines and Google fails is when you ask compound sentences / commands. Siri keeps the context of the previous questions, etc. Siri also has deep integration with other iOS tools such as calendars, text messages, reminders, maps / navigation, etc. In short the overall usefulness of the two tools isn't even close. Google's tool doesn't even come close to Siri's overall usefulness. Sadly, this article is lacking...

#7 User is offline   epskionline 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

This article actually matches my impressions pretty closely. For instance, I am posting this using Siri, but there's times when it's faster to launch Google for a query, and the results are more useful, Plus, I also like seeing the words come out as I'm saying them instead of waiting to find out what it didn't understand. I have to edit manually with Siri far more often than Google. Obviously, for integration with iDevices, you need Siri. But if Apple allowed access to the home button and integration with iOS for Google to replace Siri, it would be no contest.

#8 User is offline   iSRS 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

Fair article, when you focus only on search. And I am not surprised at the results. The search engine wins doing web searches! Gasp!

I agree that there should be, at minimum, an option to tell Siri it is ok to automatically browse the web (though this does require to to unlock your iPhone first, which is understandable, especially given the recent 'security breaches' found in iOS 6.1

My biggest issue with your article is this.

"despite the fact that I clearly did not say “launch Google Earth.” Argh"

I get what you are saying, but why do I think it is better to ask than launch an app you don't want. Especially since not all app names are what you think they are.

Siri is amazing at the things they actually advertise it to do. I love holding my home button, getting the double chime, saying "tell my wife that the kids are in" when I drop them off at school. Don't take my eyes off the road, even. I get then response "here is your message to (wife's name): 'The kids are in'"

Again, your points on web search are spot on.

#9 User is offline   SuperMatt 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

If you use Siri simply as a speech-to-text converter for a web search, then you should just use the Google tool instead. However, Siri can "call my boss" or "tell John I'm running late" or "remind me to call Barry when I get home" or "tell me how to get home" if you're lost. It does way more than the Google app.

#10 User is online   jhorvatic 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

So the story is biased towards Google, is what it sounds like to me. Instead of going through all the features of what Siri can do he only reported on the 1 feature that Siri does okay but maybe not the best.
Sounds like this story needs an update to highlight what Siri can really do which is so much more than Google's search only voice can do.

#11 User is offline   StraussWylde 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

Google Search is warp factors faster than Siri. After all, Google practically owns search and it's a direct search from the app. The voice is also more pleasant and recognises better, even the funky english of my 2 year old. But that's where it ends.

Siri does more. Slow at search. Makes mistakes - especially when you have an accent. But it can manage my phone. Reminders to call someone or when I get home to do a task. And she makes better conversation.

I can see Siri getting better at search, but not Google getting integrated with our iDevices.

#12 User is offline   bodangren 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

Does Google Search tell you what your next appointment is?

I believe it Google Now that does this.

#13 User is offline   sjsterling 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Since I'm in the Apple ecosystem, the only logical thing to do is use Siri because its much more fully integrated into everything. So I cleared my home screen (literally) and trained myself to rely on Siri for messages, calendar, web searches, emails, and more, most of which Google cannot do, fast or slow. Honestly this articles is comparing cats and dogs.

#14 User is offline   kevin2314 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

So the story is biased towards Google, is what it sounds like to me. Instead of going through all the features of what Siri can do he only reported on the 1 feature that Siri does okay but maybe not the best. Sounds like this story needs an update to highlight what Siri can really do which is so much more than Google's search only voice can do.

I don't think that's the thrust of the article of course siri can do more than Google search because it's integrated into the iPhone, but if Google Now was on iPhone I'd use that any day over siri which is a better comparison if you want to look at integrated speech platforms.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users