• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:00 AM

Post your comments for Gestures: Hard to use, harder to find here

#2 User is offline   mrbyu 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

While some of the OS X gestures may be a little complicated and redundant, I think "three finger swipe" (to switch between full screen apps, enter mission control), and even "four finger spread" (to show desktop) and "four finger pinch" (to show launchpad) gestures are really intuitive, and super easy to use. I could hardly live without them anymore...

#3 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

When I bought my first Mac(Book) in '09 with the multi-touch trackpad, I swore I'd never use an external mouse with a (Mac) notebook again.

After learning the gestures, I nearly became a master of them. At that point, I said I'd buy an iMac if Apple ever came up with such a thing for the Mac. A few months later, the Magic Trackpad was revealed. About 6 months after that, I bought an iMac and Magic Trackpad. No more mice for me.

It's all a matter of making yourself learn the gestures. Once you do, you'll have a hard time going back to the old ways. Other than typing, I don't use my keyboard nearly as often as I once did.

#4 User is offline   jtastor 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

I love my Magic Trackpad...
...except when it randomly decides to go completely crazy, then I hate it!

It's out of warranty, so Apple won't replace it. I'm not alone, many folks are having the same problem.

I've researched everywhere...and tried everything. Just when I think I've got it fixed, it, without warning, goes crazy again!

#5 User is offline   SuperMatt 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:41 AM

This is a big reason why I like Macs and iOS more than Windows 8. In Windows 8, even the most simple and necessary functions REQUIRE gestures to use them. You can use a Mac without knowing any of the gestures, and still be productive. If you want to use them, then they are there - and the trackpad control panel is probably the best control panel ever written. What other control panel visually shows you how to use the features you're turning on and off?

#6 User is offline   Jazza 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

I love my Magic Trackpad... ...except when it randomly decides to go completely crazy, then I hate it! It's out of warranty, so Apple won't replace it. I'm not alone, many folks are having the same problem. I've researched everywhere...and tried everything. Just when I think I've got it fixed, it, without warning, goes crazy again!

When I had a similar problem I found that it was caused by the battery swelling (it does as it gets older) putting pressure underneath the trackpad. Replacing the battery solved it

#7 User is offline   Jazza 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

Try Better Touch Tool (BTT) http://blog.boastr.net

You can customise gestures as you wish in each application.

I don't use too many but the ones I have help greatly

#8 User is offline   michaelvangaal 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

Was this article written by some 75 year old woman? Anyone who has half a brain can remember a few simple gestures.

#9 User is offline   jtastor 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

It's not a laptop trackpad...it's a desktop Magic Trackpad, powered by 2 AA batteries.

#10 User is offline   macFanDave 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

I haven't looked recently, but does Apple have the Human Interface Guidelines for gestures?

One reason Macs are so easy to use is that Apple provided the HIG that wise developers followed. It's written that Cmd-x, Cmd-c and Cmd-v, should be cut, copy and paste, so once you learned that for one app, you've learned it for all.

If developers are using gestures higgledy-piggledy, you will see very slow adoption rates and low marks for satisfaction with the interface.

#11 User is offline   sandman619 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

OS X: While I don't use all of the gestures, I learned them either intuitively or from watching the System Preferences help. Any that I am not using, I switch off in the Trackpad preferences so that I don't activate unintentionally; saves confusion

iOS: There are fewer gestures for iOS. Most are explained or a static image is provided as an example. These are available in Safari, the last bookmark entitled, 'iPhone User Guide': Basics & Safari

I have found gestures to be a major user interface enhancement, as well as the enlarged trackpads on MacBooks & the Magic Trackpad. Apple's focus on multi-touch trackpads is far more useful than a touchscreen for a computer. Just try holding your hand up to the display for a few minutes…

Cheers !

#12 User is offline   flowney 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Actually Command-V does make mnemonic sense. Think of the "V" as the carat that proofreaders use to say, "This add'l stuff goes right here" followed by the new (to this document) or moved words.
Dr. Frank Lowney Georgia College & State University
Senior Director for External Projects
and Assistant to the Director, Digital Innovation Group @ Georgia College

#13 User is offline   Jazza 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Sorry about screwing up my reply...don't do this very often!

Blame the trackpad !

#14 User is offline   pheriwinkle 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

The gestures are actually the reason why I finally bit the bullet and abandoned windows. Before the gestures, I feel like it took me longer to do everything on Windows because of the lack of keyboard shortcuts. Even though the keyboard shortcut issue still exists, I feel like the gestures make up for it.

They are easy enough to learn if you practice as with anything. They are certainly easy-peasy compared to the monumental task of learning to type. They are really best of breed, so it's hard to take complaints very seriously.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users