Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: China's Tencent looking at U.S. opportunities for WeChat app - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

China's Tencent looking at U.S. opportunities for WeChat app

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Post your comments for China's Tencent looking at U.S. opportunities for WeChat app here

#2 User is offline   henryhbk 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Sure, I'd be willing to put private chat data through the servers of a Chinese telecom. I'm sure there is no chance of my private data ending up in the wrong hands!

#3 User is offline   Chay Naebsanit 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

I don't know, but I would say this is probably a bad time for a Chinese company to try and penetrate the US market after all the high-profile cyberattacks making headlines. Not saying the US and its population particularly liked China any more beforehand or anything, given its bad reputation for....well, pretty much everything. At least Chinese food still continues to be a big hit.

I moved here to Thailand from the US two years ago. For my first few months here, WhatsApp was all the rage. Then all of sudden, for whatever reasons (probably the "stickers"), people started dumping it for the Japanese app LINE which continues to be popular even though they're pretty much similar.

I've never used WeChat but from what I've seen, it's really just the same as WhatsApp and LINE, so I'm not quite sure why they'd see themselves being able to reach the US audience -- or anyone else outside the Chinese market for that matter -- with nothing different to bring to the table. I don't know about WhatsApp, but LINE has been popular "in emerging markets such as Indonesia, Latin America and the Middle East" as well, but the US, not so much.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users