Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Review: Snapz Pro 2.5.1 screen capture program is past its prime - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: Snapz Pro 2.5.1 screen capture program is past its prime

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Post your comments for Review: Snapz Pro 2.5.1 screen capture program is past its prime here

#2 User is offline   dreyfus 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

I still use Snapz Pro for static image capturing (and use Screenium for video capturing, ScreenFlow is great, but overkill for my needs). My biggest annoyance with Snapz is that there is no better way to invoke it (e.g. a menu bar icon). I do not use it often enough to put in into the Dock, and every time I need to use it, I can't, for the life of me, remember the keyboard shortcut, so I start digging through the Applications folder, looking for an icon that makes sense.

I did buy Voilà, but after realizing it silently made itself the default application for several file types, I removed every trace of it, as I can't live with an unpredictable system.

#3 User is offline   cashxx 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

I bought it years ago and works fine for what I do. I record videos for Apple Bug Reports, etc. Or for quick how to videos. Works fine for me and compressions seems to be a little better than Quicktime for some reason.

#4 User is offline   carlsen 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

I have been using Snapz since it was launched many years ago.

During the last years I have beein trying to switch to other competitors but since Snapz is the only screen capture utility with fixed size and position on the selection tool, I have sticked with Snapz.

Recently I have created a brilliant workflow with Snapz incorporating Hazel, ScreenFloat, LittleSnapper and other apps.

So when I hit cmd + shift + 3 I always have the "Save as..." as my destination.

When I have selected and captured my image, Snapz presents me of a standard save dialogue box. And here starts "the magic" through Hazel...

After naming the file, Hazel takes care of the screen capture:

"mail" - the capture is attached to a new e-mail
"sf" - the capture will be floating through ScreenFloat with no window bar
"ls" - the capture is send to LittleSnapper for the fastest annotation
"pi" - the capture is send to Pixelmator
"ev" - the capture is send to Evernote
"dt" - the capture is send to my desktop and renamed with date stamp
"of" - capture is move to a specific folder and OmniFocus action is created

Finally a Hazel scripts delete old screen captures ten days after their creation.

It works like a breeze :-)

#5 User is offline   JMHammer 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

I still use Snapz Pro for static image capturing (and use Screenium for video capturing, ScreenFlow is great, but overkill for my needs). My biggest annoyance with Snapz is that there is no better way to invoke it (e.g. a menu bar icon). I do not use it often enough to put in into the Dock, and every time I need to use it, I can't, for the life of me, remember the keyboard shortcut, so I start digging through the Applications folder, looking for an icon that makes sense. I did buy Voilà, but after realizing it silently made itself the default application for several file types, I removed every trace of it, as I can't live with an unpredictable system.

You can set Snapz to start in the background and then set its keyboard shortcuts to the same as the OS's default screen-capture combo. Nothing to remember that way.

#6 User is offline   AndrewRodney 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Been using SnapZ for years and years, agree with the review that much hasn't changed in a long time. Still gets the job done. Agree that ScreenFlow is the way to do for anything but short video grab. It's awesome.

Not a fan of the recent behavior in how one names the capture (it used to ask for this first, now it's 2nd).

What frustrates me as a color geek is that Snapz isn't ICC color aware. ColorFlow is. When I make a screen grab, I have to use Hazel to assign the display profile and convert to sRGB. I asked the Snapz people years ago about supporting at least tagging what they capture with the display profile but nada. Is any of the other screen grab app's able to do this? It's kind of useful to open a screen capture in Photoshop and have the color appearance correctly maintained which means, tag the screen profile to that capture.
Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/

#7 User is offline   lantzn 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

I've also used Snapz from its release. All the Windows PCs in the organization use Snagit. I've sadly seen Snapz fall behind. Very sad indeed for such a great app at one time.

#8 User is offline   hexor 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

3.5 mice seem like a lot for something nobody would buy if they read this review.

#9 User is offline   JDW 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

I have used Snapz Pro for years. I continue to use it (for screen shots and for screen videos) mainly because I've already paid for it and I don't see any reason for me to pay more money for another program that gives me marginally improved, especially because I'm not a professional screen caster. Nevertheless, one cannot help but agree with the comments made by hexor. 3 1/2 mice seems a bit out of place in light of the fact that most people today who read this review and who have never used the software before will most definitely not buy it only because of this review!

It is my personal hope that the developer will come across this review and consider it a firm kick in the pants, such that they will get on the ball and bring some outstanding features to the product.

#10 User is offline   ZombieReagan 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Bought it years ago, and it was my main screen-capture app until recently. I'm primarily using Jing right now (the free, limited version of SnagIt) which gives you the option of saving (limited amounts) to a free screencast.com account, which makes it perfect for adding images to forum postings. I missed out on getting SnagIt for 50% off the $50 price last month, but if they offer another deal again I may go for it.

I'm also a registered owner of SnapNDrag Pro, which I got in a bundle offer. Nice utility that lets you easily do timed screenshots and save to its own little database.

It's too bad Snapz Pro hasn't been updated but it's still a decent app... just overpriced compared to the competition.

#11 User is offline   dreyfus 

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

You can set Snapz to start in the background and then set its keyboard shortcuts to the same as the OS's default screen-capture combo. Nothing to remember that way.

Hm, that sounds like a great idea. I will give that a try. Thanks!

#12 User is offline   paulrm 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Ambrosia has a long history of building interesting utilities, keeping them up for a few years, and then losing interest in them.

This goes all the way back almost 20 years.

#13 User is offline   cyborgsam 

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

Snapz has some Mountain Lion issues but still works OK. I've only used the movie recorder once or twice in the decade or more I've been using Snapz. I use the Objects screenshot the most.

I also like Layers (layersapp.com), it hasn't been upgrade in awhile either.

Does anyone know if the future of sandboxing will eliminate screenshot apps?

#14 User is offline   BobGuthrie 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Maybe an old established app, but it's still been updated, and gets the job done just fine and fast (including video).

No direct social media integration buttons?. I use Snapz Pro as a Graphic Design tool for work, not to socialize, but I can still post to Twitter and Facebook anyway via the "Send to Email" option.

Really, I haven't seen any alternative presented here that compels me to switch over to other apps. If it ain't broken,...

The only app that I use that covers a function that Snapz can't do is Web Snapper's long/complete webpage recording.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users