Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Amazon warns users not to install current version of the Kindle app for iOS - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Amazon warns users not to install current version of the Kindle app for iOS

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

Post your comments for Amazon warns users not to install current version of the Kindle app for iOS here

#2 User is offline   Jon Seff 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

Yeah, updated last light before finishing a book, and everything got removed/reset. Good times.
Jon Seff
Executive editor, Macworld

#3 User is offline   portenkirchner 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

Guess there won't be a problem when I have installed this version of the Kindle app but have not opened it yet? I just will wait for another update!

#4 User is offline   TheITQuest 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

Thanks so much for the heads-up regarding the Kindle app update. Although I didn't see the post in time to forgo the update, I also did not experience any loss of data on either of my iOS devices (i.e., iPad and iPhone).

#5 User is offline   jowie 

• PipPip

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

If they're that worried about it, why don't they recall the app from the App Store? Okay, new users wouldn't be able to download it either, but from the sounds of it they're better off not using it right now!

#6 User is offline   TeaEarleGreyHot 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

"All your Kindle ebook purchases remain available to you, and you can re-download them from within the app."

How nice. Amazon zaps your property and tells you that you can go fix it yourself.

#7 User is offline   fjpoblam 

• PipPip

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

I got bit, too. First thing: asked me to register my iPad. Created a new device. Trashed all old settings and downloads. (I wonder whether the downloads are sitting around somewhere on my iPad taking up space.) This morning, I griped to the Amazon folks. No response yet other than something to the effect of "Aw, we're sorry..."

#8 User is offline   leamanc 

• PipPip

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

If they're that worried about it, why don't they recall the app from the App Store? Okay, new users wouldn't be able to download it either, but from the sounds of it they're better off not using it right now!

The update places you in a state of "registering a new Kindle". For someone just installing the app, this new version is no different than previous versions.

Even for current users, this update is more of an inconvenience than a huge disaster. You'll have to re-download the current books you are reading (which is 1, maybe 2 books?). Your place in all books is saved via Whispernet.

Of course, if it's important to have all the books you've bought via Kindle downloaded at all times, this update might be more of a pain to you, but really, who cares about having a local copy of the book you finished a year ago?

#9 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

The issue exposes two flaws in Apple’s handling of the App Store.

Sounds more like it exposes a flaw in Amazon's app testing process. I'm sure the Kindle app is a very complex piece of software, but I'm equally sure the App store is at least as complex, if not more so. What if Apple's solution was to implement a way for devs to pull their apps immediately? I'm sure Amazon would go for something like that, right? That is essentially what they're doing with their warning, but you have to dig for it.

With a Skip option, users could tell the App Store they’d sit out this version of an app, and get nudged again when a new new version of the Kindle app was available.

I have no idea how many app upgrades are bug fixes vs. security fixes vs. feature additions, but I'd rather put the onus on developers to pull their apps than put it on users to remember which app releases are buggy.

FWIW, they just posted v3.6.2, which supposedly fixes the registration issue.

#10 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

View Postleamanc, on 27 February 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

Of course, if it's important to have all the books you've bought via Kindle downloaded at all times, this update might be more of a pain to you, but really, who cares about having a local copy of the book you finished a year ago?

People read books in different ways, and different books serve different purposes. I read "Steve Jobs" all the way through without reading any other ebook, but I also have other ebooks I read in snippets, and there could be people who have textbooks or other non-fiction ebooks they read or refer back to on a regular basis.

#11 User is offline   oldwiz 

• Pip

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

I got bit, too. First thing: asked me to register my iPad. Created a new device. Trashed all old settings and downloads. (I wonder whether the downloads are sitting around somewhere on my iPad taking up space.) This morning, I griped to the Amazon folks. No response yet other than something to the effect of "Aw, we're sorry..."

When I sent a complaint to Amazon, they said they would report the issue to their technical people. they were apparently not even aware of the problem and suggested I just wait a few hours and see if my content would come back. Their support has gone downhill a lot lately.

#12 User is offline   obewaun 

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

View Postportenkirchner, on 27 February 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

Guess there won't be a problem when I have installed this version of the Kindle app but have not opened it yet? I just will wait for another update!

I didn't see this article in MacWorld until late in the afternoon here. I was busy with other things (life, job).
I was hoping all day that you were right!
As it turns out, how you guessed is how it turned out for me. I opened Kindle Reader after getting the update that fixed problems.
Somehow, it feels a little like Boris & Natasha, "Make big trouble for Moose and Squirrel".
I hung on to your positive attitude concerning this app all day, Thanks.

This post has been edited by obewaun: 27 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

#13 User is offline   portenkirchner 

• PipPip

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

obewaun, thanks. Just installed the latest update and have no problems so far! :-)

#14 User is offline   ProfCarter 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

I've updated to 3.6.2 on both my iPad and my iPhone. No problems and i just noticed the message informing me that my location in the book I was reading on my iPad was farther than my location on my iPhone that I just opened. Way cool. So, I'd say the registration problem has indeed been fixed.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users