Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Review: Mophie's Juice Pack Air is better than its Helium - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: Mophie's Juice Pack Air is better than its Helium

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Post your comments for Review: Mophie's Juice Pack Air is better than its Helium here

#2 User is offline   zulusafari 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

PLEASE help us and push them on the return shipping. I just sent mine back (still unopened) and I'll be repurchasing the Air. I'm pretty bummed they released these products so close together without warning. I really wish they would cover the return shipping. Please let us know and inquire with them again! I would really appreciate it.

#3 User is offline   zulusafari 

• PipPip

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

Clarification, I sent back my Helium to purchase an Air. No swap was offered, just a return (since I'm still within 30 days of purchase).

#4 User is offline   detailman 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

I just called mophie to see if they would switch my Helium to a Juice Pack Air since it was still well before the stated March 15 ship date. No luck. They told me that my order was "back in shipping for processing" and that I would need to submit for a product return once I had received it. I was told that they found out this morning that the Helium had come in early and the ship date had been moved up. So, I guess I'm going to end up paying 3 separate shipping charges if I want to get the Air? Bummer.

#5 User is offline   lovetech23 

• Pip

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

I don't get it why this such a great rating. It's only 200mah more power. There is no way the 1700mah doubles the power of the iPhone 5. It can not provide a 100% charge. The Helium barely provides 65% charge. This probably gets 75%. And the headphone jack problem still exists. It's the same style as last year. Why is this getting 4.5 out 5 again?

#6 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

View Postlovetech23, on 28 February 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

I don't get it why this such a great rating. It's only 200mah more power. There is no way the 1700mah doubles the power of the iPhone 5. It can not provide a 100% charge. The Helium barely provides 65% charge. This probably gets 75%. And the headphone jack problem still exists. It's the same style as last year. Why is this getting 4.5 out 5 again?

The iPhone 5's battery is 1440mAh, so it's certainly conceivable that a 1700mAh battery could double the use time. And the Air is attractive, well made, comfortable, and doesn't add too much bulk. The only drawback Lex mentioned is the headphone jack. That makes a 4.5-mouse rating entirely reasonable.
Dan Frakes / Senior Editor, Macworld

#7 User is offline   chimerical77 

• PipPip

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

To sum up. A fool and his money are soon parted.

#8 User is offline   zulusafari 

• PipPip

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

I just called mophie to see if they would switch my Helium to a Juice Pack Air since it was still well before the stated March 15 ship date. No luck. They told me that my order was "back in shipping for processing" and that I would need to submit for a product return once I had received it. I was told that they found out this morning that the Helium had come in early and the ship date had been moved up. So, I guess I'm going to end up paying 3 separate shipping charges if I want to get the Air? Bummer.

I suggest refusing the delivery if you are there when the guy comes to drop it off. That way it gets returned to them without you spending any extra $. They can either credit you for the Air model or refund your $ at that point.

#9 User is offline   buz411 

• Pip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

I just returned my Helium unit to Mophie for a few reasons, the afore mentioned headphone jack issue, but also an error in charging the unit continued to pop up, which was annoying, and lastly, the power connection. Now anyone who has owned a Mophie product knows that they use the micro USB connection type. But in waiting for the "revolutionary" new design, I invested in several Lighting connectors/adapters. What I would have like to have seen in the new "design" was a Lighting connector rather than a Micro USB. That way we can utilize our existing cables. So net, net, between the headphone jack, error messages during charging, and the dated micro-USB connection, I'll stick with nursing the internal battery that comes with the iPhone. Unless, of course, there's yet another revolutionary design from Mophie.

#10 User is offline   gilmore123 

• Pip

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

Obviosuly Dan , you do not know much about battery cases or never ever used one before.
There is no way the Mophie Juice Pack Air 1700 mah can provide a full 100% charge. Even if you start charging from 0 to 100% without using the iPhone 5 , it will never reach 100% .
The only way that will provide a full charge is the ibattz Refuel battery case coming out in April with a spec of whopping 2200 mAh ....

#11 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

View Postgilmore123, on 17 March 2013 - 01:16 AM, said:

Obviosuly Dan , you do not know much about battery cases or never ever used one before.
There is no way the Mophie Juice Pack Air 1700 mah can provide a full 100% charge.

What I said was:

The iPhone 5's battery is 1440mAh, so it's certainly conceivable that a 1700mAh battery could double the use time.

Since I obviously don't know much about battery cases, please explain to me how there is "no way" a 1700mAh battery can ever double the use time of a 1440mAh device.

I obviously have no affiliation with Mophie. My earlier comment was simply replying to a post that said Lex's rating wasn't warranted. Even if it were true that the JPA couldn't fully double use time, that wouldn't make it a bad product. Many people aren't shopping based entirely on mAh–an hour or so of extra use time, when you're already talking about many hours of use, isn't going to be the deciding factor for many people. Design, features, usability, etc. matter as much or more.

As an aside, I find it interesting how many first-time posters we've had criticizing reviews and helpfully suggesting competing products.
Dan Frakes / Senior Editor, Macworld

#12 User is offline   ChristopherScott 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Right out of the box, I'm kinda disappointed.
In order for me to listen to iTunes in my car... or any audio besides the Bluetooth enabled speakerphone ... I have to plug my lightning cable into the front faceplate of my head unit.
But with this Mophie unit, there is no audio out / passthrough via the supplied usb cable.
I'm sure there was a good reason.. like licencing issues.. for them not to include a lightning port instead of USB port... but it's still quite disappointing.

#13 User is offline   mlfloyd 

• Pip

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

My problem with the think is that I've now had two -- the original one I bought in April and the replacement they sent me in July. Neither has worked for more than a couple of months, and now I'm getting a "nothing further can be done" from mophie support. Checking with the apple store where I bought it for help.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users