• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

Post your comments for Review: TurboTax 2012 for Mac here

#2 User is offline   spohrerga 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

Turbo Tax Deluxe 2011 allowed you to import data for more than one return. It also allowed up to five electronic filings. Importing previous returns saves a lot of data entry time - and also preserves certain transactions which carry over from one year to the next.

Turbo Tax Deluxe 2012 only allows one import from previous. It still allows up to five electronic fillings. This is a significant limitation and a loss of functionality that is very poorly documented.

Turbo Tax 2012 has a significant limitation if you’d like to make the application available to someone else in your home who needs to file a return.

#3 User is offline   jakecross 

• PipPip

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

Unfortunately TurboTax Premier 2012 let me down this year as it does not support my Intel Core Duo MacBook Pro. The software requires a minimum of OS X 10.6.8 with a 64-bit processor.

https://turbotax.int...e=1362063493185

I ended up using their online tool instead. I think it ended up being a little more expensive but worked fine and was a lot like the desktop version. Even let me import my 2011 data from the desktop software.

#4 User is offline   degrees_of_truth 

• PipPip

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Turbo Tax Deluxe 2012 only allows one import from previous.

That's not my experience (using the boxed version). I just tested importing to begin a second return and had no problem.

#5 User is offline   rstrauch 

• Pip

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

The Deluxe version is much more capable than the description in the article implies, in that it will handle many small business returns quite well. I run a simple small business which I report on Schedule C and have used the Deluxe version for years, with no need for the more expensive Home and Business version.

Also, I've imported data from two 2011 returns with no difficulties, so am not seeing the limitation that spohrerga describes.

#6 User is offline   prosper 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

I am sooooooooooo disappointed that the 2012 turbo tax does not support my Mac Book Pro Dual Core after having used the software for almost 5 years. Even if they wanted to charge a little more would have been helpful. I do not want to put my information online. I MAY NOW BE FORCED TO CONSIDER OTHER OPTIONS FOR MY TAX NEEDS THIS YEAR!

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

#7 User is offline   Jeff Battersby 

• PipPip

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

I am sooooooooooo disappointed that the 2012 turbo tax does not support my Mac Book Pro Dual Core after having used the software for almost 5 years. Even if they wanted to charge a little more would have been helpful. I do not want to put my information online. I MAY NOW BE FORCED TO CONSIDER OTHER OPTIONS FOR MY TAX NEEDS THIS YEAR! Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

You can use the online version of the application, which should suit you fine. www.turbotax.com

#8 User is offline   yourpfpro 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Nice review, I actually just reviewed it too on my site and I love it. I use Home and Business though as I own my own small business in addition to W2 income.

I'm actually giving away 5 free copies of premier/deluxe on my blog right now if that's something your readers might be interested in.

http://yourpfpro.com...eluxe-giveaway/

#9 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

View PostJeff Battersby, on 06 March 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

I am sooooooooooo disappointed that the 2012 turbo tax does not support my Mac Book Pro Dual Core after having used the software for almost 5 years. Even if they wanted to charge a little more would have been helpful. I do not want to put my information online. I MAY NOW BE FORCED TO CONSIDER OTHER OPTIONS FOR MY TAX NEEDS THIS YEAR! Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

You can use the online version of the application, which should suit you fine. www.turbotax.com

How does that address prosper's desire to not put information online. Is it some kind of web app that keeps data locally?

#10 User is offline   lfe2211 

• Pip

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

Actually, TurboTax is very over-rated. Since I have not found anything better, I'm forced to use it (the downloaded version) every year. I file Schedule C for my business. Where TT is especially weak is in the design of its support forms for each relevant business item and lack of said forms for some items. I need to annotate business items extensively so that a few years down the road I will know how I got the numbers in the various boxes. Entering info into the support forms is primitive at best and just awful if you have to make revisions like insertions, deletions or extra inclusions in a desired sequence. The final support form looks like it was produced by a Windows 95 text editor. For example, there is no font or size control. Also, info added into support boxes in Easy setup does not appear in the Forms version of the return ?!? Fortunately, I have come up with some workarounds over the years to compensate for this poor feature in TT, e.g., I use multiple copies of "Blank Form" as support documents where needed. I have complained to Intuit about these issues without success. Perhaps this note will have some affect.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users