Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Mac troubleshooting: What to do when you can't print - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mac troubleshooting: What to do when you can't print

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:30 AM

Post your comments for Mac troubleshooting: What to do when you can't print here

#2 User is offline   fibercut 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:50 AM

Your speaking about common sense that is short supply these days. Good Luck.
Cutting fiber for everyones need

#3 User is offline   thubsch 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

Good troubleshooting checklist; thanks!

But... then again, there are also "gremlins," such as when a certain type of documents (such as an end-of-year summary from a prominent credit card company that shall remain nameless, but has a youth with a Roman legionary helmet in the logo) keeps the printer in an infinite loop.

So, you poll the printer (HP LJ 8000 DN) error log (as instructed in the article) and find:

W [28/Feb/2013:17:33:45 -0500] [Job 112] The printer did not respond.
E [28/Feb/2013:17:38:44 -0500] [Job 112] Remote host did not accept data file (32).
E [28/Feb/2013:17:38:54 -0500] [Job 112] Stopping unresponsive job.

Oh. I see. Now, that clears it all up!

Every once in a while, if I "print" the printer-thwarting document (even if it already is a PDF) to a (new) PDF document, and the try to print that "new" PDF, it works. Or, it doesn't. Sometimes, holding fingers crossed while dancing a little printer dance with ululations seems to help...

When did printing become voodoo???

By the way, before you hose the entire printer seth-up (which you will then have to recreate from scratch), check if a different, plain-text document does print. In my above real-life example, it is only the end-of-year statements (in all of the offered formats, including the XL spreadsheet!!) that thwarts the printer; everything else I threw at it came out printed just fine, duplex, 2-pages-on-one, you name it.
Cheers, Tristan

#4 User is offline   bretperry 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

You might want to mention an annoying recent "feature" of Mac OSX, that you now must have admin rights to un-pause a printer. This is really annoying if i accidentally print to an off-line printer, then I cannot resume printing until IT comes and types in the admin password (most users at our large company are not allowed admin rights)

#5 User is offline   JC15 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

Just bought HP Officejet Pro 8600. I am running 10.6.8, ran a software update and installed my drivers online. Set up went well, I can wirelessly send commands to print diagnostic things like cartridge alignment etc and that all works. Domuments however do not print and just idle in the print queue. My PC works fine with the printer, but I can't figure out what's blocking me, no error messages, all seems ok except for the silence of the printer. Any ideas?

#6 User is offline   scudettojuve 

• Pip

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

Thanks for your help. My MP160 was undetectable by all means. Turned out that I only had to unplug it from AC and re-plug it back again. I was almost going to throw it away. Thanks again.

#7 User is offline   SILVERBELLS39 

• Pip

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

I recently updated to MacBook Pro 10.9.1 and am unable to install my Canon Pixma MP 150 printer. The model no longer appears on Canon's site. Has anyone got any helpful suggestion to get round this software problem please?. There is no problem with the printer - it is still work correctly with my other Mac

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users