• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:50 AM

Post your comments for How I went paperless with Hazel and Evernote here

#2 User is offline   Kevin5858 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

I love this idea but cannot seem to get the applescript to work. It stops on note and gives me this error "Expected end of line, etc. but found application constant or consideration."

#3 User is offline   fjpoblam 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

Of *course* I admit I use Evernote (though not Hazel) for similar purposes. But one further step: can you not persuade your Cox Cable company *itself* to go paperless and bill you online? We get most of our bills online, thereby eliminating a bunch of paper, effort, and transport resource (theirs, ours, and the USPS) by paying online.

#4 User is offline   liqardliquer 

• PipPip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

I like the Hazel plan and to scan or to have Hazel vacuum my download folder and my scanned folder for recognized files set up in Hazel..... Your scheme seems a bit too Geeky for me. I do the nested folders theme and save it in Dropbox. That cuts out a bunch of "could break the chain" of scripts and automator functions. I like the simplest form of doing the paperless thing. Good article for those who know automator and apple scripts and know how to troubleshoot them if they malfunction. For me the less links in the chain the less friction.

#5 User is offline   Kevin5858 

• Pip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

Seems that once I capitalized N in "note" that it worked!

#6 User is offline   wheatenwade 

• Pip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

"Evernote has become my paperless filing cabinet for everything from receipts to tax documents."

Call me a luddite, but I would be extremely hesitant to upload my tax returns or sensitive financial information (i.e., banking and investment statements) to Evernote. This was true before the recent episode of someone hacking into the Evernote server, and is especially true now. I rarely, if ever, have a need to access that type of data on the go, and would much rather store it encrypted locally on my hard drive.

#7 User is offline   raindog308 

• Pip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

Evernote can also watch folders and create new notes whenever a file is placed there (Tools->Import Folders to setup). However, this feature doesn't have the tagging magic your method does.

#8 User is offline   mattwardfh 

• PipPip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

I use Evernote to file such documents, and it's made easier by a cool service called File This Fetch that will automatically grab electronic copies of bills and statements from supported companies and save them to Evernote or DropBox.

It's a paid service, and it doesn't support everything, but it cuts down on the amount of manual electronic filing I have to do.

#9 User is offline   somerandombl0ke 

• Pip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

Love Evernote and was a premium user, but since discovering that US law enforcement can access foreign user data on US servers without a warrant, I don't put anything personal into it. The recent hack also highlights vulnerabilities. I've starting Devonthink Pro, instead.

#10 User is offline   mariva 

• Pip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

I feel the same way, and I also wonder why the file management system itself (Finder) can't be used as an organized storage system. It has everything (naming, folders, previews, etc.) that Evernote has, except for tagging functionality -- and something like DEVONthink can be used to tag files (if that's really necessary, and I'm not convinced that it is).

#11 User is offline   mariva 

• Pip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

BTW, my comment was in response to wheatenwade's (re: not trusting Evernote).

#12 User is offline   trintoc2 

• Pip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Interesting read. I haven't used Evernote yet, just haven't found a good workflow with it yet. So this might be some ignorant questions:
Like one user said, why not just file in Dropbox via a couple folders? So that tags are available? A "cox" tag wouldn't be necessary if it was in the "cox statement folder. Just curious as to why Evernote gets added, which seems like it would slightly handicap if you ever needed something without the availability of Evernote? (friends computer etc..)

#13 User is offline   melvinwalker 

• PipPip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Just curious as to why Evernote gets added, which seems like it would slightly handicap if you ever needed something without the availability of Evernote? (friends computer etc..)

Evernote has web access, same as Dropbox, so that's a moot point.

#14 User is offline   john_macworld 

• Pip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

I purchased Hazel and love it. I've been using the free version of Evernote for non-important stuff.

P.S. There was an interesting article at arstechnica.com:

Critics: Substandard crypto needlessly puts Evernote accounts at risk t.co/EOupNszsTg

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users