Review: BearExtender Mini gets your Mac connected to faraway Wi-Fi hotspots
Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:28 AM
1. The signal will drop completely for no discernible reason. I can connect using my internal Wifi card but the Bear Extender Mini won't even see it. Infrequent but often enough to be aggravating.
2. USB hard drives will cause the signal to drop or completely disconnect.
3. Doesn't work with Kismac! The biggest drawback IMO.
4. The app is ugly but the menubar icon is uglier. And you can't hide it. Plus on my retina Mac it looks god awful horrible. Also, the app launches in the foreground every time you wake/start your Mac and is kind of disconcerting. It should run in the background with a nice pretty menubar icon that indicates connectivity.
5. Do not buy this product without the 5 dbi antenna. The standard one that's included is not sufficient.
Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:45 AM
What this country (US) needs is a solid 4g-type network for everywhere, but since that's not likely, how about some repeaters ("signal boosters") for the rest of us?
Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:01 AM
For my use the smaller/standard antenna worked just fine, but I can see how people in a rv might need the bigger antenna.
Easily awesome $50 upgrade to my mbp!