Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Review: BearExtender Mini gets your Mac connected to faraway Wi-Fi hotspots - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: BearExtender Mini gets your Mac connected to faraway Wi-Fi hotspots

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Post your comments for Review: BearExtender Mini gets your Mac connected to faraway Wi-Fi hotspots here

#2 User is offline   SuperBeer 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

I have one and overall I would recommend this product for home or campus. But there are a few things I would like to add.

1. The signal will drop completely for no discernible reason. I can connect using my internal Wifi card but the Bear Extender Mini won't even see it. Infrequent but often enough to be aggravating.

2. USB hard drives will cause the signal to drop or completely disconnect.

3. Doesn't work with Kismac! The biggest drawback IMO.

4. The app is ugly but the menubar icon is uglier. And you can't hide it. Plus on my retina Mac it looks god awful horrible. Also, the app launches in the foreground every time you wake/start your Mac and is kind of disconcerting. It should run in the background with a nice pretty menubar icon that indicates connectivity.

5. Do not buy this product without the 5 dbi antenna. The standard one that's included is not sufficient.

#3 User is offline   Kenoodle 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

Sounds great, but if there's no DSL and cell reception is decrepit, it's like a tricked-out snowmobile in the Sahara.

What this country (US) needs is a solid 4g-type network for everywhere, but since that's not likely, how about some repeaters ("signal boosters") for the rest of us?

#4 User is offline   kgustafson 

• Pip

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

I have one, and the range is awesome! I agree the software is not optimal. I wish it could just be a menubar like airport, but it's pretty painless. Basically when you plug it in it shows you a list of networks. If you connected before and added as a favorite, then it will reconnect automatically.

For my use the smaller/standard antenna worked just fine, but I can see how people in a rv might need the bigger antenna.

Easily awesome $50 upgrade to my mbp!

#5 User is offline   Dieds 

• Pip

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

I was surprised by this review, mainly because the software supports Macs running OS 7 and earlier. It does not work on Macs running 10.8.3.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users