Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tim Cook

#1 User is offline   ospreytc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

It is time to open very wide a discussion on Tim Cook. I have been an Apple faithful since the IIe. But like many of us out there, we have lost a ton of money over the last six months and have seen almost no meaningful response. We cannot just stand by and watch Apple implode and take us with it. It is time for a serious discussion about a change of leadership. Are we left to witness the decline of one of America's great success stories? Can Tim Cook step up in a creative way and re-command Apple into its true leadership and success? Or, are we about to see new leadership with a new round of success?

It is well past time for movement.

Ted Catranis
Schuylkill Haven, PA

#2 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

View Postospreytc, on 05 March 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

It is time to open very wide a discussion on Tim Cook. I have been an Apple faithful since the IIe. But like many of us out there, we have lost a ton of money over the last six months and have seen almost no meaningful response. We cannot just stand by and watch Apple implode and take us with it. It is time for a serious discussion about a change of leadership. Are we left to witness the decline of one of America's great success stories? Can Tim Cook step up in a creative way and re-command Apple into its true leadership and success? Or, are we about to see new leadership with a new round of success?

Ted Catranis
Schuylkill Haven, PA

Examine the money Apple has made, the number of products it's sold, under Cook's leadership. (Hint: They're both impressive.) Now explain why Wall Street has fallen out of love with Apple. Before demanding someone's head, perhaps you should focus on which head should fall.

#3 User is offline   TeaEarleGreyHot 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

1. You have only lost money if you panicked and sold stock you previously bought at a higher price.
2. To suggest that Apple is imploding is one of the more egregious examples of hyperbole I've seen lately.
3. What constitutes a "new round of success"? Apparently not market share or profit share, of which Apple has a commanding position in both phones and laptop computers.

In addition to Chris Breen's wise comment on examining who's head should fall, consider the explanation of user "lwdesign" who wrote a particularly relevant comment in a story discussion recently:

Here's the basic problem with pundits: They think the stock market means something about the company. They think in terms of investor profits not the actual production and health of the company itself. Pundits see the stock dropping from $700 to $400 and without any other factor taken into account, they believe the sky is falling and the company is on their way out. They seem purposely obtuse to the fact that their own rumors and negative comments are causing investor panic, which is what causes the stock prices to fall.

http://forums.macwor...ost__p__1015235

Though I suspect you've forgotten about this request for discussion, as you've not posted anything in the past few days.

This post has been edited by TeaEarleGreyHot: 27 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

#4 User is offline   ospreytc 

• PipPip

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

With an Apple conference and important announcements on the horizon, let's all hope for an invigorated vision and progress.
1) Microsoft has faltered again. Will Apple pounce with improvements to OS X? Hardware upgrades to the MacBook line and renewed interest in iMac and MacPro lines could prove very successful for Christmas sales. But it is OS X that will draw.
2) Innovation, not small tweaks. Apple cannot sit on brand name reputation. Innovate or lose market.
3) iPhone and iPad must improve. Folders, creative apps, make the iPhone appear as a disc, etc. This could be a make or break year for the iPhone. How can that be? Think Christmas.
4) Apple – if there are upgrades that people continuously ask for, and do not get, they will switch.
5) IOS apps that operate on OS X.
6) Apple, talk to people that use and buy your products. Talk to people that are in the market to buy Android or IOS.

#5 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

Ted Catranis
Schuylkill Haven, PA

What are you smoking? Because that's got to be one of the most epic trolls I've seen in weeks.

My prescription: Read previous Macalope columns. It gives you a jolt of reality, and reduces bozoification effects of whatever nonsense you're reading. :ph34r:

This post has been edited by leicaman: 06 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#6 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

Ted Catranis
Schuylkill Haven, PA

It is time for a wide open discussion on OS X and iOS and Apple hardware. How dare Apple not give us some improvements and customization options, some of which we've been asking for for years?? The leadership has it all wrong!

Seriously. The leadership is fine. It is greed that you need to look at. Too many companies/institutions and people wanting instant profits, time after time. Too many trades fueled by speculation, wishful thinking, rumors and some negative spin; things get jittery, reality no longer matters, ... Boom.

#7 User is offline   ospreytc 

• PipPip

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

Today's announcement are not insignificant. If you spend time to recognize the effects of the Mac Pro and OS X. This could be very good for Apple.
It looks like the IOS 7 plan is on the right track. Currently Samsung has caught some press enthusiasm. But I am very interested in the future for Apple.
Let's keep watching.

I still want to see significant upgrades to iPhone and iPad. I really want that local storage and disc-like connection. Local storage holds the future.
Imagine if your iPhone or iPad could have 100% two way interface with your car or other home device.

#8 User is offline   lkrupp 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

Tim Cook's tenure at Apple will be defined this Fall. Everything is focused on the new products that have been promised all year long. If these new products are successful then his job is secure. But remember, don't pay any attention to the reactions of the pundits and analysts. We already know they will be mercilessly negative. Don't pay any attention to the tech sites like C|net. These sites all dumped on Apple from the iPod to the iPad. Do pay attention to the rank and file Apple fans. They will determine whether Cook is still around this tome next year.

#9 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:28 AM

View Postlkrupp, on 27 July 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Tim Cook's tenure at Apple will be defined this Fall. Everything is focused on the new products that have been promised all year long. If these new products are successful then his job is secure. But remember, don't pay any attention to the reactions of the pundits and analysts. We already know they will be mercilessly negative. Don't pay any attention to the tech sites like C|net. These sites all dumped on Apple from the iPod to the iPad. Do pay attention to the rank and file Apple fans. They will determine whether Cook is still around this tome next year.

Personally, I have never really listened to so-called "Wall Street" pundits as they have generally been predicting Apple's death since the 90s at various times.

Then there are the tech pundits that are either so "pro" Microsoft that they seem to gleefully cheer for Apple to fail or they are so "pro" Apple that they seem to believe that Apple can do no wrong.

Frankly, pundits and talking heads in general annoy the crap out of me as their job these days seems to be to write/say inflammatory things in order to drive hits to sites or eyes to TeeVee screens. A big reason that I don't tend to watch ANY cable news network as they have all gone to the Fox News approach of pundits (and other "sizzle" factor fluff) over actual journalism. To some degree I don't blame them...after all, 24 hours of actual journalism would be 1) rather expensive and 2) rather boring to most people who cannot pay attention to any news that takes longer than 30 seconds to "get across". So, since news (in virtually all forms) has become a ratings driven business, everyone goes for the cheap and easy "sizzle" fluff. So, we get idiot pundits on the TeeVee for political (and non-political) stuff and we get rather misleading and somewhat inflammatory headlines on tech sites (including Macworld at times) in order to try to drive ratings and hits.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users