• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope: Make it a double standard here

#2 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

Of course there's hyperbole. It's become the regular way of doing things. I also believe that Samsung is trying to stick it to Apple in the same vein as their commercial parodies of a few months ago.

To not play to a double standard, who was better at hyperbole than Jobs? Hyperbole is like make-up, the way you know it's been done right is to not even notice that it's there.

The now, at least partially, maligned Andy Ihnatko put it best...

"If you give half a damn about which multi-billion-dollar corporation “wins” a totally made-up contest, then you need to drop acid and spend some time in an ashram."
I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#3 User is offline   Hologram 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

Oh come on Macalope!

Isn't it obvious that the new Galaxy S4 is going to be at least 33% better than the S3? Why? Because 4 is a whole revision number greater than 3. Sadly, "innovation" will slow down at Samsung for the next release because 5 is only 25% greater than 4.

But Samsung missed the boat. They could have called it the Samsung Galaxy T, thus making it a completely new and innovative design.

By just changing the last designator in the model number from S3 to S4, is Samsung trying to mimic Apple's "incremental" upgrades? Like the 4 to 4S upgrade, except with numbers and letters (or absence thereof) playing inverse roles as primary and secondary model designators.

Making a new, bigger phone is easy with the 3D CAD software Samsung's designers surely use. Just add in a scale multiplier to resize the screen and ancillary bits and, well, there you go.

Now, THAT my friends, is innovation. Too bad Samsung decided to downplay that tremendous effort by using a wimpy, incremental model number change.

This post has been edited by Hologram: 14 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

#4 User is offline   TeaEarleGreyHot 

• Veteran

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

I'm surprised there is not a lot of gossip about the doom of the lawsuit by Apple against Samsung over it's latest blatant ripoff (the S4). And heck, we might as well discount the share price of AAPL by 20% for this lost cause and the consumer apathy induced by the corporate squabbling.

Never mind that the product, the lawsuit, the verdict, and the PR ramifications are still TBD. :)

#5 User is offline   MacNewton 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

Samsung will always be hitting on Apple! Its what they do. Parts of the company still works closely with parts of Apple. Samsung, just like Apple has lots of departments. As an electronics supplier there products are sold to everyone. What you and I see is just a very small reflection on whats really going on in the back office. Samsung and Apple has made this relationship into a game, and we are just the chess pieces! What part of this game are you?

#6 User is offline   robogoboqfy1 

• PipPip

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

I can write for the Internet, too. Ready?

Innovation. Innovation Innovation Innovation.

Innovation, Innovation!

#7 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

It's possible this guy could be writing about some of the leaked info. "Eye scrolling" (as opposed to eye-rolling) and hover gestures seem to me like interesting UI breakthroughs, but the devil is in the details (he also writes for Forbes and Business Insider, apparently). They could be great concepts that fail in real life.

But seriously, what has Apple done lately that could be called "breakthrough"? I am itching to try Siri, but that was developed by another company, which was then acquired by Apple, and even now still carries the beta tag. I've got money burning a hole in my pocket for the next iPhone I feel is worth upgrading to. The A4 processor in my iPhone 4 struggles to keep up with some modern apps, so it might be a race between how long I can deal with that vs. how long until the next iPhone is released. Maybe WWDC will drop some hints in June. I'd really hate to buy an iPhone 5 now (which I still feel is inferior, design-wise, to my 4) only to have Apple release some kick-ass features that I really want (or don't even know that I want) in the next model. And the siren's song of a Nexus 4 keeps blaring away in the background :(

#8 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

View Postrobogoboqfy1, on 14 March 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

I can write for the Internet, too. Ready?

Innovation. Innovation Innovation Innovation.

Innovation, Innovation!

Needs more Apple-bashing ;)

#9 User is offline   Sigivald 

• PipPip

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

To not play to a double standard, who was better at hyperbole than Jobs?

Absolutely true.

On the other hand, Jobs was always talking about products he personally had actually seen and used...

I don't mind "this thing is BRILLIANT!" hyperbole ("insanely great!"). I do mind hyperbole from someone who *hasn't even seen the damned thing he's hyperboling*.

(Hyperboling is my new word of the day. By which I mean, a new word that I invented, today.)

#10 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostSigivald, on 14 March 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

To not play to a double standard, who was better at hyperbole than Jobs?

Absolutely true.

On the other hand, Jobs was always talking about products he personally had actually seen and used...

I don't mind "this thing is BRILLIANT!" hyperbole ("insanely great!"). I do mind hyperbole from someone who *hasn't even seen the damned thing he's hyperboling*.

(Hyperboling is my new word of the day. By which I mean, a new word that I invented, today.)

Beautiful! That's what made him the master. He could have been holding a coke bottle, and still get awsay with it.

This post has been edited by ingus: 14 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

#11 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

Innovation! :lol:

#12 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

View Postwardoggie, on 14 March 2013 - 10:11 AM, said:

Innovation! :lol:

Or, to pull a "Colbert"..."Innovativeness"!

#13 User is offline   NormM 

• PipPip

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

ingus said

competition / competitiveness
innovation / innovativeness

Innovativeness is in the dictionary, and is not a made up word at all.

#14 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostNormM, on 14 March 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

ingus said

competition / competitiveness
innovation / innovativeness

Innovativeness is in the dictionary, and is not a made up word at all.

Uh, okay, how about "innovaticity?" "Innovationalism?" :)

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users