• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:00 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope Weekly: Mythperceptions here

#2 User is offline   palane 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

Was there an implicit tip of the antlers to Robert Lynn Asprin and Phil Foglio? Takes me back to the old MythAdventures graphic novels.

Meanwhile, in the real world, the Galaxy S4 lanuches to lukewarm reviews.

http://www.washingto...fcb4_story.html

BB

#3 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

Or maybe they're just tired of writing "Apple's doooooooomed!!" stories and being wrong. They have to get it right eventually, no? The problem is, the right getting is going to require them to change their tune.

As Steve Jobs points out in the recently discovered interview (found it on Netflix last week) he could change his mind in a nanosecond. It's how smart people operate. If you're wrong, don't get your panties in a wad, simply change.

Of course, it seems too much to ask from these Doomed Apple cultists.
Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#4 User is offline   KPOM 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

Was there an implicit tip of the antlers to Robert Lynn Asprin and Phil Foglio? Takes me back to the old MythAdventures graphic novels. Meanwhile, in the real world, the Galaxy S4 lanuches to lukewarm reviews. http://www.washingto...fcb4_story.html BB

What's odd is that it seems the "pundits" are just looking to bash Apple right now since it's fallen out of favor on the Street. They helped fuel the hype so much on the S4 that it was bound to disappoint. Again, despite Samsung's tighter control over its supply chain, most of the specs leaked early, and some of the features (e.g. Smart Scroll) were actually less impressive than what had been leaked.

On the whole, I think the S4 looks decent, and it could be a hit in much the same way the iPhone 4S has been. That product was panned as "incremental" but was still the 2nd best selling smartphone in Q4-12, over a year after its release. However, like the 4S, the S4 is an incremental update. JK Shin also threw cold water on the idea that we'll see a flexible display phone anytime soon, telling the WSJ it would be a "long time off."

#5 User is offline   lkrupp 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:51 AM

I love these John Dvorak impersonations!

#6 User is offline   palane 

• PipPip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

There's a lot of interesting work on flexible electrodes (I work on organic solar cells). The basic problem of making such an electrode has been cracked. Making it stable is a difficult problem.

BB

#7 User is offline   davebarnes 

• PipPip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

Are you sure that time is linear?
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024
WebEnhancement Services - Worldwide

#8 User is offline   kitko 

• PipPip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

The important thing to realize when making comparisons between Wintel and Android marketshare is ... money.

With wintel, everyone made profit - Microsoft as the licensor of the OS, PC makers for selling hardware, software delelopers for making apps.

With Android, the Licensor, aka Google, makes NO money out of licensing Android to hardware makers. If we invoke the advertising revenues, it's been discussed many times over that Goolge makes money out of iOS generated ads impression than from Android.

The only phone manufacturer that makes a reasonable profit on selling Android-powered hardware is Samsung. Everybody else is a volunteer cheerleader - and they still pay software license money to Microsoft for using Android, courtesy of Google using them without asking for permission.

App developers are shortcharged - Android users want free stuff. Perhaps antivirus companies make some money.

How long is the situation, when there's only one winner on the Android side of the wall, going to last?

#9 User is offline   Hologram 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:44 AM

I used to think people who claim "Apple is DOOMED" were wrong.

I now realize they are simply mythtaken.

Thank you for clearing that up, Macalope!

#10 User is offline   NaOH 

• PipPip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

Are you sure that time is linear?

I think our experience of time is (mostly) linear.

The actual nature of time itself is a very different matter.

#11 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

Was there an implicit tip of the antlers to Robert Lynn Asprin and Phil Foglio? Takes me back to the old MythAdventures graphic novels. Meanwhile, in the real world, the Galaxy S4 lanuches to lukewarm reviews. http://www.washingto...fcb4_story.html BB What's odd is that it seems the "pundits" are just looking to bash Apple right now since it's fallen out of favor on the Street. They helped fuel the hype so much on the S4 that it was bound to disappoint. Again, despite Samsung's tighter control over its supply chain, most of the specs leaked early, and some of the features (e.g. Smart Scroll) were actually less impressive than what had been leaked. On the whole, I think the S4 looks decent, and it could be a hit in much the same way the iPhone 4S has been. That product was panned as "incremental" but was still the 2nd best selling smartphone in Q4-12, over a year after its release. However, like the 4S, the S4 is an incremental update. JK Shin also threw cold water on the idea that we'll see a flexible display phone anytime soon, telling the WSJ it would be a "long time off."

There are three areas where the GS4, on paper, is leaps and bounds better than the GS3.

-The screen. 'Nuff said.
-Thanks to the FCC, the US version had a dual core CPU + LTE, the international version had a quad core/no LTE. The GS4 contains an architecturally fast quad core (probably US only) and slightly lower clocked octacore (presumably international).
-Global LTE!!!

So these may be "incremental", but they're a big increment. It remains to be seen where the CPU/LTE combinations fall. Just hedging to make sure the same thing as the GS3 doesn't repeat again. This will determine whether I get one in the US or EU.

The software/camera stuff is cool, but it's been done on the PC for a very long time now. It might be new for mobile, but that's okay. I like that the device probably has the horsepower to do it.

This post has been edited by ingus: 16 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#12 User is offline   StefN 

• PipPip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

Sax? I heard Tom Rush on guitar: “Too late, too late, too late, Hey, Mama gonna leave you now”. She went running up the Depot Agent. She asked him what time train time was. He said “you go and lay your head down on the track babe and when you hear the rail popping you know train time won't be long." (Panama Limited, Tom Rush, Elektra, 1965)

#13 User is offline   Kennethfcooper 

• PipPip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

“For Apple Suppliers, Galaxy S 4 Isn’t Good News”
The irony is that Samsung is one of Apple's biggest suppliers. Ergo, the Galaxy S 4 isn't good news for Samsung.

#14 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

“For Apple Suppliers, Galaxy S 4 Isn’t Good News” The irony is that Samsung is one of Apple's biggest suppliers. Ergo, the Galaxy S 4 isn't good news for Samsung.

Absolutely right! Don't you think this is a major reason they are in the gadget business on all OS's including a couple of their own? They'll make it up by being their own supplier.
I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users