• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Macalope Weekly: Mythperceptions

#29 User is offline   robogoboqfy1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

As soon as Samsung tries to fork Android, and Google pulls the plug on them for their hubris, they'll crash and burn. Only then will they understand how hard it is to be successful without copying and stealing.

#30 User is offline   josu 

• PipPip

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:30 AM

The important thing to realize when making comparisons between Wintel and Android marketshare is ... money. With wintel, everyone made profit - Microsoft as the licensor of the OS, PC makers for selling hardware, software delelopers for making apps. With Android, the Licensor, aka Google, makes NO money out of licensing Android to hardware makers. If we invoke the advertising revenues, it's been discussed many times over that Goolge makes money out of iOS generated ads impression than from Android. The only phone manufacturer that makes a reasonable profit on selling Android-powered hardware is Samsung. Everybody else is a volunteer cheerleader - and they still pay software license money to Microsoft for using Android, courtesy of Google using them without asking for permission. App developers are shortcharged - Android users want free stuff. Perhaps antivirus companies make some money. How long is the situation, when there's only one winner on the Android side of the wall, going to last?

Nobody could have said it better, thanks.

#31 User is offline   josu 

• PipPip

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:44 AM

Thanks Macalope to remember people, the kind of person Blodgett is. Never must be forgotten.

#32 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

View Postrobogoboqfy1, on 17 March 2013 - 12:38 AM, said:

As soon as Samsung tries to fork Android, and Google pulls the plug on them for their hubris, they'll crash and burn. Only then will they understand how hard it is to be successful without copying and stealing.

Samsung may fail because of their hubris, but not with Google pulling Android from them. Android is open source and can be modified freely. Look at the Kindle.
The quickest way for Samsung to fail, is to lock in it's user's, which is not likely to happen. Many of it's more vocal supporters don't run iOS for that very reason.
But, hey, should Samsung do that, these users are the ones that may well go to the Ubuntu phone.
I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#33 User is offline   Hologram 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

View Postingus, on 16 March 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

View PostHologram, on 16 March 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

"Just how much profit does Apple have to suck out of the smartphone market in order for it to not be considered desperate by Blodget?"

Now there's a chart I'm certain to consult in my next buying decision...

Acid? Ashram? Hellooo....

That would depend on what you're shopping for, don't you think?

Actually, no. Not at all. A company's profits don't enter my equation at all, unless I feel they are excessive, or about to go under.

Ok. Maybe if I spell it out ...

If you're shopping for a phone, then the comment relating to Blodget and Apple profitability has no bearing.

If, on the other hand you're shopping for investment opportunities and are considering AAPL shares, then profitability might be good to know.

Like I said, it depends what you're shopping for.

#34 User is offline   mumee 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

Does anyone smell an ulterior motive for all the AAPL bashing? Knock down the share price until you can afford shares of it?

#35 User is offline   mumee 

• Pip

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

I could add to my comment about the ulterior motive. Suppose Google
or Samsung paid the pundits with shares of there stock to bash Apple.

#36 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostHologram, on 17 March 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

View Postingus, on 16 March 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

View PostHologram, on 16 March 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

"Just how much profit does Apple have to suck out of the smartphone market in order for it to not be considered desperate by Blodget?"

Now there's a chart I'm certain to consult in my next buying decision...

Acid? Ashram? Hellooo....

That would depend on what you're shopping for, don't you think?

Actually, no. Not at all. A company's profits don't enter my equation at all, unless I feel they are excessive, or about to go under.

Ok. Maybe if I spell it out ...

If you're shopping for a phone, then the comment relating to Blodget and Apple profitability has no bearing.

If, on the other hand you're shopping for investment opportunities and are considering AAPL shares, then profitability might be good to know.

Like I said, it depends what you're shopping for.

Oh OK! Now I get it! Ha. Ha. Thank you Mister!

I don't even play the lottery, so my mind didn't go there at all. If I were looking for investing advice, do you think I would be getting it from a mythical creature with the head of a Mac? This is a computer magazine.
Of course, maybe I'm wrong and that explains why it hit $704 at one time...

Back to the ashram for me....

This post has been edited by ingus: 17 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#37 User is offline   mumee 

• Pip

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

I caught the reference to Asperines Myth series.

Thanks Macalope!

As to my use of "there" rather than "their" I sent that message before I checked my usage.

#38 User is offline   jaberard 

• PipPip

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

“For Apple Suppliers, Galaxy S 4 Isn’t Good News” The irony is that Samsung is one of Apple's biggest suppliers. Ergo, the Galaxy S 4 isn't good news for Samsung.

True, but Apple has been gradually moving away from using Samsung as a supplier of components/parts. If Apple has the option of using a company other than Samsung for parts, it will. Don't underestimate how much damage and ill will is in that relationship.

#39 User is offline   Paul 

• PipPip

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

We're all so doomed

#40 User is offline   Paul 

• PipPip

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

Why is the concept of % of profits so hard for the pundits to understand versus the worthless market share statistics? Perhaps it just doesn't make for inflammatory articles.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users