Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Review: BenQ VW2430 and HP Pavilion 27xi displays - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: BenQ VW2430 and HP Pavilion 27xi displays

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

Post your comments for Review: BenQ VW2430 and HP Pavilion 27xi displays here

#2 User is offline   Jordanmerrick 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

Did you attempt to use a calibration tool such as a Spyder? If not, were you only using the display's own settings or did you also run ColorSync too?

You are right that most people are unaware but you have to calibrate the display properly both using it and creating a new color profile. For that reason it will likely just be coincidental that one display seems better than the other simply because it more closely matches a display you already use, a display you're used to. That's why it's best to use a calibration tool to do the work. It seems unfair to mark a display down on its color representation when it's likely it hasn't been properly calibrated.

If a calibration tool was used then disregard this :)

#3 User is offline   dreyfus 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

It seems unfair to mark a display down on its color representation when it's likely it hasn't been properly calibrated. If a calibration tool was used then disregard this

You are, of course, technically right. On the other side, how many people buying a display for $229 will have proper calibration tools on hand? The people who have these (designers, photographers, etc.) will likely spend for a better monitor anyhow. A cheap TN panel (using dithering/FRC to display more than 262k colors) will normally not make it on their list. Regular consumers can expect that a display is at least "in the ballpark" out of the box, IMHO.

#4 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

You should do a review of the HP 23xi, since it would be a close match in size. The HP 23bw is the same monitor, except all black and a matte screen.

I bought the 23bw on sale at Best Buy for $169.99 after returning a Dell 23" IPS display that was overly warm and had bad pixels. A week later, Staples had the 23xi on sale for the same price, but I wasn't about to return yet another monitor just to have the brushed aluminum look to match my new Mac Mini. It works very well now that Apple finally pushed the fix for HDMI issues with 10.8.3.

After trying 4 different monitors, this HP is finally pretty close to the display I had with my mid-2010 iMac 21.5". I was a little worried about the matte finish, but it doesn't seem to really effect the overall image quality. For the price, I'm a happy user.

Another bonus with these HP monitors, is there is no gap between the LCD and display glass, so no worries about any ghosting between them, like I had with my iMac. I'm glad the new iMacs are better in this respect, but the inability to upgrade the RAM pushed me to the new high-end Mini.

After upgrading the RAM to 16GB and (FINALLY!) the HDMI fix, I'm very happy with the Mini.

#5 User is offline   horrister 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:05 AM

redgeminipa said:

It works very well now After upgrading the RAM to 16GB and (FINALLY!) the HDMI fix, I'm very happy with the Mini.

Hi,
I'm in the same boat you are in. Got a late 2012 Mac mini and an older iMac.
Caused by my age (78) I've some eye problems. So I experienced a resolution of 1920 x 1200 as most convenient.
Would you say that the resolution of the HP Pavillon 27xi comes close to 1920 x 1200?
Thanks.

Best
Hor Jasinski
Berlin, Germany
info@cinnox.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users