Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Weighing the iPad mini versus the Nexus 7 is no easy task - Macworld Forums

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weighing the iPad mini versus the Nexus 7 is no easy task

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:00 AM

Post your comments for Weighing the iPad mini versus the Nexus 7 is no easy task here

#2 User is offline   pcharles 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:33 AM

First they kill iGoogle, and now Google is killing reader! WTH?

#3 User is offline   kubaba 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:43 AM

And what about Flash? All that content Apple will not let us see should be a another reasonable argument for the Nexus. Though not enough for me to switch.

#4 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:22 AM

And what about Flash? All that content Apple will not let us see should be a another reasonable argument for the Nexus. Though not enough for me to switch.

Apollo. Flash without the Flash ads. It's a pretty solid browser for the price, and Flash videos etc. load quickly with granular control of playback. It also has ad-block.

My only complaint is it doesn't (can't?) remember passwords.

#5 User is offline   pawhite524 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

Joel,
No offense intended but you kinda meet the heck out of your iPad 2 and that, IMO, would be part of your decision making. For all of its many pluses, the Nexus 7 just does not feel like a robust machine. I have not read any torture tests on the 7 or the iPad mini so don't have a clue as to how each one would fare under seriously adverse circumstances. I went through the same decision making and went with the iPad mini. I have no problems reading on it and frankly my eyes did not see a difference in movie viewing or reading between the Nexus 7 and the iPad mini. For me, I thought well of the Nexus 7 but thought better of the iPad.

#6 User is offline   pawhite524 

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

Joel, No offense intended but you kinda meet the heck out of your iPad 2 and that, IMO, would be part of your decision making. For all of its many pluses, the Nexus 7 just does not feel like a robust machine. I have not read any torture tests on the 7 or the iPad mini so don't have a clue as to how each one would fare under seriously adverse circumstances. I went through the same decision making and went with the iPad mini. I have no problems reading on it and frankly my eyes did not see a difference in movie viewing or reading between the Nexus 7 and the iPad mini. For me, I thought well of the Nexus 7 but thought better of the iPad.

First sentence should read "kinda beat the heck"

#7 User is offline   joeldermole 

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

Joel, No offense intended but you kinda meet the heck out of your iPad 2 and that, IMO, would be part of your decision making. For all of its many pluses, the Nexus 7 just does not feel like a robust machine. I have not read any torture tests on the 7 or the iPad mini so don't have a clue as to how each one would fare under seriously adverse circumstances. I went through the same decision making and went with the iPad mini. I have no problems reading on it and frankly my eyes did not see a difference in movie viewing or reading between the Nexus 7 and the iPad mini. For me, I thought well of the Nexus 7 but thought better of the iPad.

Without seeing that torture test, I will say this: The Nexus felt solid in my hand; the iPad mini more of a trifling thing. Whether this is just a weight comparison on my part, or an accurate judgement of each machine's relative sturdiness, it's tough for me to say. I do hear what you're saying, though.

#8 User is offline   joeldermole 

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

First they kill iGoogle, and now Google is killing reader! WTH?

Right!?!?!?

#9 User is offline   eteen 

• PipPip

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

Is it just me but all the apps you bought on the iPad can't be moved to the Google Tablet or am I missing something. that should weight on the price of the Google tablet.

#10 User is offline   isorod 

• PipPip

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

l have both. When I got the Nexus 7 its size was its best feature and some of the UI features were also attractive. It was much more handy than my iPad 2. But it was lacking In the apps that I wanted, art (drawing) and education apps for my kids. Once I got the iPad Mini, I got the size I wanted and all the apps I love. Like Procreate, hands down best drawing/painting app in the iOS app store, in my opinion(example of <a href="http://www.charr.com/Charr/display/?id=14">my art</a>) . Educational app like Endless Alphabet, which is free, is expanding my 4 and 3 year old's vocabularies in leap and bounds. I found 2 to 3 drawing apps in the Google Play store not great but very useable. On the educational front there really isn't comparison in the quality of variety of apps available for iOS. The same is true about art apps. l have spent hours searching to no avail.

Also I was able to get my Nexus 7 replaced after a crack form on the screen from a fall (for free). The touch screen was unusable after the hair like crack form on the lower right hand corner of the screen. My iPad 2 screen which has a huge spider like crack (after my kids drop it by accident) touch still working even though I don't like my kids using it because of the cracked glass.

So Asus consumer service was pretty good. But I Apple has more robust design that will still function after screen damage.

#11 User is offline   isorod 

• PipPip

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

Example of my art can be seen at www.charr.com/Charr/display/?id=14

#12 User is offline   cdpinker 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

I've owned a Nexus 7 and sold it for an iPad mini and am very pleased with the decision. For me, the main advantages are:

- Wider screen. It makes everything look so much better. You can forget about using the N7 in landscape, whereas the mini is ideal in either orientation.
- Hardware design - the mini feels great, and is really thin. The N7 is plasticy, creaky in comparison.
- Ecosystem - the iPad apps available are of near-console quality, and the level of innovation and diversity in the store is fantastic. I never found that sort of engagement in Google Play.

But to the N7's credit, it was the tablet that got me considering smaller tablets in the first place. While I owned it, I really liked it and took it with me on the commute everyday. For £180 you can't really complain.

#13 User is offline   AdamDZ 

• PipPip

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

I recently got a Nexus 7. I also own the iPad 3. The biggest problem with the Nexus? Battery life. If I just leave it lying around for two days it drains to nearly 10-20%. My iPad retains 99% power when idling for many days. It also locked up several times during two weeks that I owned. OS is buggy. When I unlock it it goes to the third empty screen every time. It just doesn't get close to iPad quality.

#14 User is offline   patriotusa 

• PipPip

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

Frankly I'm getting a little tired of the "Thinking of swtiching to Android/Windows" articles that are permeating MacWorld lately. Have you guys run out of Mac/iOS topics? Every once and awhile is OK, but it seems like I have to read one of these every few days now.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users