Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Should I get the Mac Mini now, or Wait for the 2013 model? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should I get the Mac Mini now, or Wait for the 2013 model?

#1 User is offline   icyrock 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

I'm going off to college this fall, and I would like to know; do you think I should wait for the 2013 mac mini to be released before I pull the trigger, or do you think the 2012 model is good enough(I don't need one tell school starts in the fall, so that's one of the reason's I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. This would also be my first mac ever)?

#2 User is offline   JackMac 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

View Posticyrock, on 20 March 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

I'm going off to college this fall, and I would like to know; do you think I should wait for the 2013 mac mini to be released before I pull the trigger, or do you think the 2012 model is good enough(I don't need one tell school starts in the fall, so that's one of the reason's I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. This would also be my first mac ever)?

Standard advice: Wait as long as you can. If you already know where you will be going to school it would be best to contact the school store to find out the kind of deals they might have for computers and software. Even though Apple has education discounts via online and in store purchasing the school might offer other incentives if you purchase through them.
  • Wait as long as you can.
  • Check with the school

The worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades.
Demetri Martin

#3 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

View Posticyrock, on 20 March 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

I suspect there won't be a new mini before the school year starts. While I normally counsel - as does JackMac - to wait as long as you can I'm not sure there's benefit in that strategy in this scenario. I would think you'd want some time to familiarize yourself with the new machine and give the components a chance to fail before the school year starts. (It's very rare, but sometimes you get a lemon. Better to be dealing with that before the added stress of school.)

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

My general advice to this types of questions (i.e. should I buy the current model or wait for the future model) is to buy when you need it. If you don't really need it (or really want it now), then wait until you do need it (or really want it).

The end result is that it is basically impossible to predict when Apple will release new models. While there is typically some past pattern as to how long between model releases that you can see from the "Mac Buyer's Guide" (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/), there is no guarantee that Apple will follow that pattern in the future.

Now for your case, the additional suggestion that I would add is to call the school you are going to and see if they have a computer platform (i.e. Mac vs Windows) that they recommend. This is less critical if you are not doing computer science as a major, but can still be something to consider.

#5 User is offline   iHailCaesar 

• PipPip

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

I always say that if you need it now, get it now. No way anyone can keep up with changing technology, waiting and you won't ever buy anything.

#6 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'll add that it is unlikely that the technology will so significantly change, if there is a 2013 model, that would make a 2012 model a particularly bad buy. The late 2012 mini pack plenty of punch (I have one)

Also, there often are some back to school incentives, where Apple will throw in a freebie, and your state may have a tax free weekend as well for educational purchases that can be to your advantage.

If you are worried about osx 10.9, it is likely to be available as an upgrade at nominal cost ($20) like the last version.

I was also going to mention that if you are not familiar with osx at all. you should not wait till school starts to get a system and start using it. Get your feet wet and catch up on it so you can focus on your education and hit the road running.

#7 User is offline   BethWorthy 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

In my opinion, if you need a mac urgently then you must buy it. But if you can wait, then i'll definitely say wait for the upcoming one.

#8 User is offline   Martian 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

My question to the OP...does a student really want a Mini that is tied to a dorm room? Give some thought to the more portable, versatile laptop. This is a far more significant decision than 2012 vs 2013 versions of essentially the same machine.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users